Eggs set on 2/11! Who needs a hatch buddy?

I candled mine last night. I have had times in the past where I can see the embryo wiggling around, but I'm not seeing this time around which has me a little nervous, but things look good in 8 of the eggs, with the chicks filing much of the eggs. (Pointy end of eggs are still clear as they shoud be.)
When candeling one of the eggs, I saw some dark spots that have me concerned. I think that chick may have died sometime in the past couple of days. I will keep a close eye on that egg.

About opening the incubator to turn the eggs, I'm not concerned about that because:
1. Broody hens get off the nest a couple of times a day to eat and poop.
2. Some new incubators actually have a daily cooling phase to mimic the hen getting off of the eggs.
That is true!!!!

YaY! want to see pics when they hatch :D  I just bought another LG it's the new design so I can do staggared hatches. I'll have one for the first 18 days and then I'll have the other I use as a hatcher! Took some talking to hubby but I won LOL!

Pics will def, be posted as soon as the first one hatches. I will have a second bator before I attempt another staggered hatching. I didn't plan on a staggered hatch but it ended up this way. Good luck with your hatchings!

Going to candle them tonight and then put them into lock down. We are at the end of day 17. Crazy that this is happening. I just really hope they hatch.

I thought lockdown started at the end of day 18? I have quite a few more growing than I thought a few days ago. My 10yo daughter helped me candle again and thought them moving around was the greatest thing ever! I still have 1 egg with an iffy aircell, still kind of moves but the baby is wriggling around so hopefully the air cell attaches before lockdown! I'm only on day 12 so it's still got a few days. All the eggs are still in the cartons, when should I take them out? I've read day 15, if the air cell hasn't attached by then it wont at all, and I've read day 18 right before lockdown.....

ETA: I have 2 incubators also. I was planning on just leaving the eggs in the one there in to hatch but now I'm wondering if I should have the other one ready and put them in there at lockdown? Or is that just so you can start incubating another batch right away?

Last edited:
I thought lockdown started at the end of day 18? I have quite a few more growing than I thought a few days ago. My 10yo daughter helped me candle again and thought them moving around was the greatest thing ever! I still have 1 egg with an iffy aircell, still kind of moves but the baby is wriggling around so hopefully the air cell attaches before lockdown! I'm only on day 12 so it's still got a few days. All the eggs are still in the cartons, when should I take them out? I've read day 15, if the air cell hasn't attached by then it wont at all, and I've read day 18 right before lockdown.....

ETA: I have 2 incubators also. I was planning on just leaving the eggs in the one there in to hatch but now I'm wondering if I should have the other one ready and put them in there at lockdown? Or is that just so you can start incubating another batch right away?

This is my first time incubating, so I'm no expert on the subject at all. But I wouldn't lay them down for lock down until day 18, and the second incubater is used for staggered hatching. Although some people still use a second one for a hatching incubator but I don't see the reason to move them from one to the other, unless you need to start another set. I hope this helps a little bit. I have 8 Birchen Marans due to peep tomorrow (Friday)!!! Can't wait. Good luck!

Going to candle them tonight and then put them into lock down. We are at the end of day 17. Crazy that this is happening. I just really hope they hatch.
fl.gif
Saturday night is when I put mine into lockdown, I am so excited for us all!

Good luck JP!

I transitioned my incubator into the hatching mode.
I have been candling them frequently. In 7 of the 9, the chicks have pretty much completely filled the shells, except for the air cell. There were 2 where that was not the case. I assumed they were both dead, so I cracked one, and it looked as if it had quit about halfway through. The other one was bigger, I pulled all of the yolk and membranes away from it and then realized it was trying to breathe. I guess I killed it. I put it in the incubator, but I don;t think it will make it.
he.gif
hit.gif
Honestly, I don't think it would have made it anyway, it was smaller than it should have been... but it is still upsetting.
Hopefully the others will all survive.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom