eggs very soon?

Soot the silkie

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Humboldt, California

This is my barred rock who I expect to be laying soon. She is 6 months, does the submissive squat, and has a big red comb. What should I do to prepare for when she starts laying? Is she going to lay soon or in weeks? Thanks for any info.

This is my barred rock who I expect to be laying soon. She is 6 months, does the submissive squat, and has a big red comb. What should I do to prepare for when she starts laying? Is she going to lay soon or in weeks? Thanks for any info.
Once my girls squatted they were another week or two from laying. Good luck. Hope she's lays soon for you.

Laying doesn't have a exact time frame. my Easter Egger started squatting a month or so ago and has not layed yet. But my red star started laying two weeks ago and was squatting a week before laying.( both 8 months) I've had some hens lay at ten Months old. What do you feed them?
This thread has information on the process of making an egg. It is also helpful when you have a egg problem, like shell less eggs, to know why it's happening and how to treat it. It helps when you don't know what's going on with the eggs.( save you some time if something does happen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

All you can really do is wait. I know it's hard waiting but it it's worthwhile :D

Laying doesn't have a exact time frame. my Easter Egger started squatting a month or so ago and has not layed yet. But my red star started laying two weeks ago and was squatting a week before laying.( both 8 months) I've had some hens lay at ten Months old. What do you feed them?
This thread has information on the process of making an egg. It is also helpful when you have a egg problem, like shell less eggs, to know why it's happening and how to treat it. It helps when you don't know what's going on with the eggs.( save you some time if something does happen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

All you can really do is wait. I know it's hard waiting but it it's worthwhile
big_smile.png

The more information I learn about chicken health problems, the more scared I get for my girls. Still that article is very helpful. My chickens have been on organic laying feed for about a month, and they eat of grass, scraps, and treats, as well as a blend of herbs and food I make them sometimes for intestinal parasites.

The more information I learn about chicken health problems, the more scared I get for my girls. Still that article is very helpful. My chickens have been on organic laying feed for about a month, and they eat of grass, scraps, and treats, as well as a blend of herbs and food I make them sometimes for intestinal parasites.

If you would like you could grind up some of the shells from the laying hens. If you grind it real fine, like in food processor, don't breath in the dust from it it can be bad for you. Just put some on the feed once a day. When she starts laying you can slack off in it. And when they need extra calcium just give some to them.

Back
Top Bottom