Eggs Wobbling/No pip....Help please!!!

Quote:
Are you sure you saw the eggs wiggle? If your hens have been sitting on the eggs for 22 days now (April 5 to April 27) and no pips they may not hatch or if the hens haven't been sitting consistently the chicks could hatch a couple of days late. Have you candled any to make sure they are developing? If the eggs are indeed wiggling then the chicks aren't far away from hatching. It could be in the next day or two.

I have experienced the wobble when the rest of the family did not so I know how that 'crazy' thing goes! Mine wobbled around day 18... some that wobbled a tiny bit hatched, some didn't. It drives me crazy how the chick can develop and then die right near hatch days. I guess because if they don't have the strength to get out, God knows, and saves them from struggling later.

I have experienced the wobble when the rest of the family did not so I know how that 'crazy' thing goes! Mine wobbled around day 18... some that wobbled a tiny bit hatched, some didn't. It drives me crazy how the chick can develop and then die right near hatch days. I guess because if they don't have the strength to get out, God knows, and saves them from struggling later.

My eggs will start to wiggle 2 to 3 days before they hatch. Humidity is a great factor. The humidity has to be high enough so the chicks can move in the shell to pip and zip. Originally the eggs need to loose moisture when the chicks are developing and the last 3 days they need the higher humidity to hatch. I learned this the hard way too. I had average hatches in the beginning. My humidity was to high during incubation and the chicks would pip internally and drown before they hatched because of moisture buildup in the eggs. Since I started to dry incubate where my humidity during incubation stays around 35% and my humidity around 75% the last three days during lockdown, my hatch rated have increased greatly. My last hatch out of 61 eggs that made it to lockdown only 4 didn't hatch. When the chicks hatch the humidity usually will go up to 80% plus but not to worry as the chicks dry out the humidity will come back down. Now if you are using a broody that is different. Not sure how the hen can regulate. I have had hatches where all of the eggs have hatched under the broody and when 1 or 2 eggs didn't hatch. Most of my hatching I incubate and the last 3 days the eggs go into a hatcher.

My eggs will start to wiggle 2 to 3 days before they hatch. Humidity is a great factor. The humidity has to be high enough so the chicks can move in the shell to pip and zip. Originally the eggs need to loose moisture when the chicks are developing and the last 3 days they need the higher humidity to hatch. I learned this the hard way too. I had average hatches in the beginning. My humidity was to high during incubation and the chicks would pip internally and drown before they hatched because of moisture buildup in the eggs. Since I started to dry incubate where my humidity during incubation stays around 35% and my humidity around 75% the last three days during lockdown, my hatch rated have increased greatly. My last hatch out of 61 eggs that made it to lockdown only 4 didn't hatch. When the chicks hatch the humidity usually will go up to 80% plus but not to worry as the chicks dry out the humidity will come back down. Now if you are using a broody that is different. Not sure how the hen can regulate. I have had hatches where all of the eggs have hatched under the broody and when 1 or 2 eggs didn't hatch. Most of my hatching I incubate and the last 3 days the eggs go into a hatcher.

That's interesting! I never thought of them drowning. By 'dry incubation' what do you mean? Is there water at all in the incubator? During 1-18 I mean. Thanks, Hannah.

Here are the pictures of the first five chicks (two were still fluffing out when I took the photo) The hatch ended with 7 total chicks. The other five eggs, nothing ever developed in them so no late deaths
wink.png
One picture is of the first two that hatched, then 5 of the seven chicks, and a close up of one

Now we are currently filling one of our incubators with nothing but marans (cuckoo, bcm, blue copper maran, and blue tailed buff maran)

Quote:
I set up my incubator the day before I put in the eggs. I put my thermometer/hygrometer in to monitor the temperature and humidity. I do put a little water in. Depending on where you live and the climate will determine the humidity. Someone incubating in Arizona would use more of less water than someone in another part of the country. I live in Florida and our nighttime humidity is around 100% and it drops during the day to around 50%. That will affect an incubator. I keep my incubator in a closed room so the temperature and humidity stay constant. Some people put their incubator in a closet where it is easier to keep steady. What kind of an incubator are you using? Here is a thread on the Little Giant incubators (LG) tips and tricks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks. There are many posts on BYC about dry incubation.

Here are some of my hatches.

Here are the pictures of the first five chicks (two were still fluffing out when I took the photo) The hatch ended with 7 total chicks. The other five eggs, nothing ever developed in them so no late deaths
wink.png
One picture is of the first two that hatched, then 5 of the seven chicks, and a close up of one

<snip>

Now we are currently filling one of our incubators with nothing but marans (cuckoo, bcm, blue copper maran, and blue tailed buff maran)

I love those chicks! They're very adorable. :)

cmom, I love your brooder. I'd like something like that for my quail one day. Did you by chance post up any plans for that? I'd love to make a modified version for a cooler basement area.

cmom, I love your brooder. I'd like something like that for my quail one day. Did you by chance post up any plans for that? I'd love to make a modified version for a cooler basement area.
My brooder is just a simple design. Its one of those large rubber tubs that you can get at walmart. I made sure I got mine pretty large to make sure it could hold several chicks at once. Then, I have a very small coffee table sitting right next to it that helps hold the heat lamp over the top of the tub

But I also have a second brooder for when those little chicks start trying to fly. It helps with the age of the chicks. I previously bought some chicks and by the time these new chicks are ready to go into the other brooder, the ones in that brooder will be heading out to the coop. Here is a picture of that coop and I actually bought it from tractor supply...I did make some adjustments to it though, such as hanging the water bottle off of the shavings and two holes to help hold the light

But I also have a second brooder for when those little chicks start trying to fly. It helps with the age of the chicks. I previously bought some chicks and by the time these new chicks are ready to go into the other brooder, the ones in that brooder will be heading out to the coop. Here is a picture of that coop and I actually bought it from tractor supply...I did make some adjustments to it though, such as hanging the water bottle off of the shavings and two holes to help hold the light

Yeah my first brooder is going to be a plastic bin but I'll upgrade fast. Really, it's what we can scrounge up in the move & set everything out asap. I like the idea of a side-view brooder, but I'd be worried about litter flying everywhere. Might add to a design like yours w/ a sheet of plexiglass along the inside bottom 1/3. :D

Thank you for showing me your brooder, bbethea!

Back
Top Bottom