Eggs?

ChxLadyMary

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Hello! My chickens will be four month old this Monday. Can someone tell me the absolute earliest they will lay eggs and the most likely age they will lay eggs? Thanks!

Hello! My chickens will be four month old this Monday. Can someone tell me the absolute earliest they will lay eggs and the most likely age they will lay eggs? Thanks!
Depends on the breed. Heck, it depends on the individual bird. Earliest I've heard is 16 weeks for high production breeds. Most are closer to 6 months.

On average, chickens start laying eggs at 6 months old, depending on the breed. Breeds like Australorps, Leghorns, Golden Comets and Sex Links will start laying as soon as 16-18 weeks. Larger, heavier breeds like Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks and Orpingtons will lay anywhere from 6 to 8 months. Six months is just the average.
With that said, my BJG layed one today... shes not to start until September. You can start looking for signs, such as comb and waddles getting redder... when you put your hand over them, they squat... it really depends on the birds. But you should start seeing them soon.

On average, chickens start laying eggs at 6 months old, depending on the breed. Breeds like Australorps, Leghorns, Golden Comets and Sex Links will start laying as soon as 16-18 weeks. Larger, heavier breeds like Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks and Orpingtons will lay anywhere from 6 to 8 months. Six months is just the average.
With that said, my BJG layed one today... shes not to start until September. You can start looking for signs, such as comb and waddles getting redder... when you put your hand over them, they squat... it really depends on the birds. But you should start seeing them soon.
Good post.

My Cochin laid her first at 17 weeks. If I hadn't seen her do it, I wouldn't have believed it. Individual birds have their own timetables, that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom