Eggs?

My earliest was one of my easter eggers at 16 weeks. My production birds started around 23 weeks (some still arent laying at 24 weeks) my other easter egger started around 23 weeks also.

Wait six months old or 6 months from now?! How big will my Jersey Giant and Light Brahma be?
Head and shoulders above your others. The hens of those breeds are usually more than 10 lbs. Hatchery birds are usually smaller, but you'll probably need to account for their size when deciding roost height and nesting boxes size. I have a Brahma and a Cochin who are both quote large. I used to have higher roosts with ramps, but they would still jump down (rather than use ramps) and I was constantly treating bumblefoot. Now my roost is at 12 inches from the coop floor - about 6 inches above the litter level. No more bumblefoot!

Head and shoulders above your others. The hens of those breeds are usually more than 10 lbs. Hatchery birds are usually smaller, but you'll probably need to account for their size when deciding roost height and nesting boxes size. I have a Brahma and a Cochin who are both quote large. I used to have higher roosts with ramps, but they would still jump down (rather than use ramps) and I was constantly treating bumblefoot. Now my roost is at 12 inches from the coop floor - about 6 inches above the litter level. No more bumblefoot!
Wow! When you said they would lay in six months did you mean six months old or six months from now?

You will know when they are getting ready by the color of their combs. They turn bright red when laying and pale pink when not laying.
My leghorn is second from the left. Would you say she is close to laying? She is 4 months/16 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom