Eggs?

MegaChickens

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
We got f5 Orpington pullets on July 4th, and now they are about 17 weeks old. I've been told that they should have started laying but I've also been told that since it's so late in the season that I may have to wait till it gets warmer. I've been told to put a lamp inside their coop to make it warmer cause it gets dark really early. Is it still possible that they will lay this season?

17 weeks is the earlest they will start laying. I have several that are going on 20 weeks and they are not laying but they can start any time. I have a light in the coop for extra light to help them start this winter. Because of your location and the cold winter don't worry as they may wait until spring. Orpington are great winter layers so they still should start this year. Just have pateince I know its hard.

my chickens are 25 weeks and havent started laying yet
sad.png
hopefully your gals start laying soon!

My BO's are 23 weeks old and haven't started laying yet. They have been checking out the nesting boxes and their combs are getting redder. I have 2 Americauna/EE/OE (whatever) that have just stared laying this week and they are about 4 weeks older than the BO's.
Both of my breeds are prolific layers, good winter layers and (unfortunately) later layers! But the eggs we have gotten so far are delish!

I just found our first two in the egg boxes when I went out to close up the coop! One was crushed and I'm not sure why, but we have one good one! We'll see if I get more tomorrow! Can't wait to have my first for breakfast tomorrow! Thank for all the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom