Eggshell that had stamp ink ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Celticdragonfly, May 26, 2019.

1. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Is it ok to save eggshells for my chickens that had the Eggland's Best stamp mark on them? JPEG_20190526_211842_9211817190241560092.jpg

jolenesdad likes this.
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I would hope that it's a food grade dye, whatever that means. Contact them and ask!
    Or, be careful and throw that part out.
    Mary

3. Beloved among taggers for its lovely purple color!

4. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife

SimplyLivinthatFarmLife Crowing

Jul 17, 2017
    Georgia
    When you find an answer, let us all know.

Sequel likes this.
  5. jolenesdad

jolenesdad Crowing

Apr 12, 2015
    Montgomery, TX
    If you have England’s best eggs.... maybe it’s time for more chickens?! :oops:

:cool:;)

6. I don't know what it is made from but dye used on meats and poultry products has to be food safe and approved by FDA and USDA. Can be used by inspectors and store personnel to divide batches, code grades of product.

jolenesdad and Sequel like this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Dyes labeled 'food grade' have changed over the years; some are now off the list, and little or no testing was ever done on many of them. Grandfathered in! A very minor issue, but irritating.
    Mary

Sequel and Willowspirit like this.
  8. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Oh, DEFINITELY!

We have our first ever chicks. Looks like they may go from the brooder box to the coop tomorrow. They're 4 1/2 weeks old. So - no eggs yet.

And officially we can keep three hens here. I am really hoping that the Texas law passes that will up that number to 6.

On a typical week day, with kids' packing school lunches and a lunch for K. to take to the office - we go through 6 hard boiled eggs a day. So yeah, 3 hens is not going to eliminate us needing to buy eggs. Also, M. makes homemade mayo - and we are so looking forward to trying it with our hens' eggs - and tonight he made up a big batch of tuna salad with some of that mayo, and 6 more hardboiled eggs chopped up and mixed in with the tuna and relish and chopped apple and minced onion.... oooh it was so good ... I've gotten distracted here, but yeah, they're not gonna let me have enough hens for all our eggs!

9. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Food grade. Even the stamp or equipment that applies it has to be food grade. Anything that touches food and is sold has to be food grade.

Sometimes things get grandfathered in, but EB isn’t that old. In addition, if something was found to be hazardous it would no longer be allowed. Food dyes and colorants are actually very regulated.

Your birds eat many more disgusting things anyway. Bugs, poop, bugs in poop to name a few.

Sequel, CCUK, Perris and 2 others like this.
  10. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Sounds like I don't need to worry then, thanks.

Sequel, jolenesdad and Acre4Me like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: