Elderly hen and eggs any advice please

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hi all

As always everybody is so helpful here so I’m looking for any advice in regards to my elderly hen.

We think violet is about 12 she was 8 when I got her and I’ve had her just over 4 years. I think she is slightly arthritic and she was in the vet last week with sour crop.

She hasn’t laid for months but since we’ve had warm weather in the uk she’s laid rubbery eggs, jve just found this that she has just laid and she had a bit of liquid coming out her vent. The “eggs” have no yolk I am giving her grit and she’s on a balanced diet, I just wondered should I ask my vet for antibiotics due to this egg and is there anything I can do to help her not have these sort of eggs ? Also does anybody know what they are and why this would be happening ? She is also on a multi vitamin which has calcium in it, oyster shell , grit.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_6324.jpeg
    IMG_6324.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6323.jpeg
    IMG_6323.jpeg
    686.2 KB · Views: 3
I suspect at that age your girl is coming to the end of her laying. I wouldn’t think it’s an infection (unless there are other symptoms) and I’d be surprised if antibiotics change anything.

12 years is great for a chicken. I’m surprised she was laying a couple months ago. Good on you for adopting an 8yo and good on her for being productive for another 3+ years.

Curious if anyone has different opinions.

I am flabbergasted that you have a 12 year old hen still laying. I mean GOOD JOB! Now...how about some tips for the rest of us?

Chickens have a finite number of yolks. Once they are all laid, they do not generate more. It's likely ol' girl has depleted her yolks. Being she's 12 years old, I'd bet folding money on it. She's winding down for retirement and from the sound of it, it's well deserved.

Back
Top Bottom