Elderly rooster with recurring fluid in his lungs?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
Exactly is the title says I have an older rooster named creepy who, when I first got him, had fluid in his lungs, I nursed him back to health and overall he's doing fine it's just that since I rescued him (About a year or two ago) he's had recurring respiratory issues. He's overall happy and healthy, I just want to see if there's anything I can do to help him with his lungs. I've treated him with antibiotics and I've brought him to the vet, they have no idea what's going on and we don't want to risk any surgeries because of his age. It doesn't seem to affect him much and he still cock-a-doodle-doos every morning, raspy as it is

What antibiotic do you normally use for him?

It would be nice to know what the ailment/cause is. Does he get better with antibiotics, then relapses?

If the cause is MG, then you can put him on a monthly treatment regimen of Tiamulin (Denagard) which is used to treat MG. You'd give for 3 days each month to help relieve symptoms.

Alternatively, you could try Oxine.
I've never used it but have seen folks report good results. I'm not sure if @azygous has used it or not.
Here's an informative article on using Oxine
https://www.shagbarkbantams.com/the-many-uses-of-oxine-ah-animal-health/

Do you have a picture of him? Does he gasp, sneeze, cough, or have labored breathing? Is he losing weight or thin? Are there any bubbles in either eye, nasal drainage, or swelling of the eyelid? Some respiratory disease can be caused by a mold fungus. Have you wormed him in case his respiratory problem is due to worms?

Back
Top Bottom