Electric Fencing to Help Protect Flock, opinions/help?!

SuburbanSue

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Emerson, New Jersey
I have a small backyard flock. A few weeks ago something got in the coop and killed all my girls except for one. The run is fenced in with 6 ft. fencing and has chicken wire on top and the sides that do not have the wooden fence. I have since found a spot that was comprimised and have fixed. I am noticing more foxes in our area, racoons, etc.

We are re-doing all the fencing and chicken wire netting and was wondering about putting some type of electric fence in. I haven't dealt with them before. Does anyone have any adivce on using them? My run is a small area maybe 100-120 square feet? Can I electrify the chicken wire?

Just looking for any info. Thanks all.

I have a small backyard flock. A few weeks ago something got in the coop and killed all my girls except for one. The run is fenced in with 6 ft. fencing and has chicken wire on top and the sides that do not have the wooden fence. I have since found a spot that was comprimised and have fixed. I am noticing more foxes in our area, racoons, etc.

We are re-doing all the fencing and chicken wire netting and was wondering about putting some type of electric fence in. I haven't dealt with them before. Does anyone have any adivce on using them? My run is a small area maybe 100-120 square feet? Can I electrify the chicken wire?

An electric wire ran about 6”-8” above the ground on 4” standoffs will work really well at keeping predators out. You can easily add more rows of wires if needed. Try to get a charger with over 1 joules output.

I would suggest you beef up your run and coop with 1/2" hardware cloth. It is better than chicken wire. Electricity is your friend and go strong like RoosterML recommends. When it comes to raccoons and foxes the stronger, the better.

You can not electrify chicken wire. It will short out everywhere it touches a post, the coop, frame... With electric fencing, you energize a strand of wire that is held away from the fence or coop with a plastic insulator. Running multiple strands at various heights will improve security from different sized predators.

Here is a thread that may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/electric-fence-basics.1398976/

You can get electric poultry fencing or wire. I use the poly rope wire. I have very large pens so the wire works best for me. Here are a couple of links that may help. Since I put up the wire several years ago nothing has penetrated. I also have several game cameras up to see what predators are roaming here especially at night when they do most of the roaming here. Good luck...
https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php
https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing/conductors-tape-rope-twine-wire

Back
Top Bottom