Electric fencing

Hi, Yes the poultry netting works. Many of the "free range" egg producers here use it with little problem. It is not easy to use if the terrain is not rather flat and she will need to make sure the grass/weeds are not tall enough where it sits so that it doesn't ground out the system. Your friend may need to trim her hen's feathers though so they won't get enough air time to go over the top.

One note on the electric netting and young birds - when mine were still youngish (not year old matrons) they were able to squeeze out of the holes in the netting. They just stepped on the bottom horizontal wire and pushed through. The flexible wire expanded to larger than I expected. Mind you I'm using the Patriot solar charger which, as another poster mentions, delivers a relatively low shock (although I still find it works against wet-nosed predators)

Now that the girls are full sized they can't pull that trick anymore.

Opinions of this brand wanted.....I found a listing on ebay that I wonder if it compares to the Premium fencing? Also, very confused about what and how to hook up a charger, solar or electric. So far there are no predators, but just a matter of time, I'm sure. We have bear, coyote, raccoons, and everything in between.

Here is the ebay listing, if I'm allowed to post it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360198414757&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNASIF:US:1123

Also
, will an electric fence harm my tiny chihuahuas who are 4 lbs and 5 lbs?

Thanks so much for your advice! It's expensive, so I don't want to botch it with my decision of which one to buy!

Is the Patriot charger for $39.00 any good? Anyone used these particular items? Thankyou, from me and my Brahmas who are only 3 weeks old today.

That looks to be the exact style of fence I use on our flock. Our area is riddled with foxes due to the amount of rabbits. I lost 6 to a fox, so the next morning I ordered a 50 metre length of electric netting and a Gallagher s17 energiser. I haven't lost a chook to a fox since. My only advice is to go over kill with the energiser, I have since purchased another 50 metre length and the s17 energiser will run it as long as there are very few shorts on the fence (where it touches something earthed (grass, trees, shrubs etc). I wish I had of purchased the s50 instead. Oh well, such is life.

http://chickencaravan.com/fencing/

Is who I buy my gear off, they have some great videos on how to set them up and tips and tricks. They also have a listing of energisers and how many 50 metre lengths of electric netting they will run.

Hope that helps.

The fence won't harm your dogs, it will give them a shock though. They will only do it once. :D

Back
Top Bottom