Electric Fencing for Bantams

CastielH

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Vermont
I'm hoping to set up a fenced in area for my flock to forage a bit this summer, due to our predator load here in Vermont and my birds being so small I plan to use electric poultry fencing but I was wondering if anyone with small bantams has had problems with average poultry fencing? Most of the fencing I'm finding has 3 inch squares and if motivated I feel that my girls at least could get through that. The fence will be electrified of course but I'd rather they didn't try and get out of course.

I have a friend that uses electric poultry fence she doesn't have bantams though. But in think that she puts them in the pen before they are fully grown so...

Hi! for what it's worth, Most people use electric fencing w/poultry to keep OUT predators... You can always put up good fencing for your fowl then set up electric anti-predator fencing (strands of electric wire) around the outside.

Hi! for what it's worth, Most people use electric fencing w/poultry to keep OUT predators... You can always put up good fencing for your fowl then set up electric anti-predator fencing (strands of electric wire) around the outside.
TruDat...but if a bird can stroll thru the netting....
@DobieLover has bantams and netting.

TruDat...but if a bird can stroll thru the netting....
@DobieLover has bantams and netting.
They tend to stay closer to the coop/run setup. They COULD get out. They just don't. They prefer stay with the flock.
Once Tink accidentally flew out over the fence then banked back over and flew right back in. She's my Sebright.

...still I feel that "turkey wire" + a few strands of electric on the outside, would be a better option, at least cost wise. Turkey wire is closer together down at baby "bantam" height, and is dogproof, too. But in your region, that may not be the best option. Hope this helps.

...still I feel that "turkey wire" + a few strands of electric on the outside, would be a better option, at least cost wise. Turkey wire is closer together down at baby "bantam" height, and is dogproof, too. But in your region, that may not be the best option. Hope this helps.
I'll for sure be considering that when it gets closer to time, we get all kinds of wildlife though from raccoons to fisher cats and even bears from time to time so it's not a very light predator load to deal with which is a big consideration for me.

Back
Top Bottom