Electric Fencing ???

rhody josephine

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Has anyone used an Electric fence to keep Coyotes away?? We have about two acres to cover. I would put it along the wood line, near the stone wall where I have seen them cross through. We have a large open area between the stone wall, woods and our house and coop/run area. Just want to know if I would be wasting my time and money before I invest.

If you space your wires correctly and make sure you have a large enough fencer to support the type of wire/tape you plan to use and the length/number of wires you plan to use it should prove to be well worth the investment. It'll also help to keep a whole slew of other critters at bay.

Quote:
We have about two acres to cover

You bought enough of that for 2 acres?

It's $73 for 25 ft, and it takes over 800 ft to do one acre.​

The person who said they bought it isn't the same person who said they have 2 acres. The person who bought it didn't mention how many acres they bought for.

Correct 7L Farm. I want to block off the area where the coyotes are crossing. The front of our property has an 8 foot drop of stone retaining wall. Not that they can't get up there, but they haven't before. I hear the howling out back, and that is where they have been seen crossing. The hens are staying in their coop and run all the time now, but I miss having them out pecking around contentedly...The fence that was suggested is mighty cool, but wow, it would be more expensive than my husband would want to invest to have happier chickens. Still working on alternatives though. My husband does want a happy wife!!!
love.gif
I've attached a photo of the back yard where the coyotes are crossing from the woods. The chicken coop is just out of view, before the shed that is pictured. The coyotes come from the area where you see the three chairs...
82495_100_0618.jpg

Honestly, unless you plan to secure it to a chain-link fence I bet they walk right through the wires. I raise Siberian Huskies and if they can get their nose through the wires without getting zapped, their heavy fur coats protect them from the wires. I assume it would be the same with yotes.

Back
Top Bottom