Electricity IN The COOP?Lights?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

kera! :

Thanks again my BRO IL is an electrician so i will make sure it is correct, I want this expierence to be a great one for my kids and woul hate to cause harm to the chicks or myself...

Ah, you're in luck, it certainly needs to be done right. But in an ordinary shed, "right" might well include wires secured to walls. In a chicken coop, wires need to be well covered, in conduit or pvc or something the chickens won't peck. I would also recommend that any lights or outlets be in the ceiling, and only if the coop is tall enough for a tall man to walk in. And I agree with another poster, heat in chicken coops is very difficult to do safely. Do a bunch of reading about it on here before you decide your bantams really need it, and to learn how to do it as safely as possible.

That said, I'm so glad we ran water to just outside the coop and electricity in it. Light for working at night and power for an electric fence were no problem. You may well want a heated dog bowl waterer or the like, as well -- just remember the conduit.​

No electricity or water run to the Coop, been in use over 15 years. See my BYC page for pics. My grandparents didn't, nor did any of our ancestors. Why complicate it anymore then you need to.

I had an extension cord running to the coop. It ran the auto pop door & hot wire. I had an electrician come out & install 2 outlets for the coop one inside & one outside its all uderground & done right. I now have peace of mind that its safer . No wire exposed on the ground . I was always worried that when mowing I'd forget to move the cord & become toast. I like having auto pop door & hot wire. I'm thinking of adding a light in the coop for convenience. I don't need heat & I'm not gonna add hours of daylight. I'll let the birds decide if they wanna lay are not. Thats their job .

Quote:
darkmatter, I like the way you think. My wife and I try to live a simple, pure, and genuine way of life. It means more work for us, but we're happier and don't waste time watching TV. I'm sure it would be an added bonus to have electricity in the coop, but it's not necessary. I plan on building a walk-in, insulated coop big enough to house 25 chickens. I'm hoping the insulation will be enough to keep the birds from freezing here in upstate NY. I've read that just a single lightbulb extends their laying during the winter, but I guess I could add electricity in the future if I really find in necessary. I don't want to complicate things now if they've survived this long without it.

If you're building a coop by all means add electricity using an underground conduit. Unless you live someplace where you're on bedrock the conduit part isn't that much of a problem since it doesn't have to be more than a narrow trench that is foot and half below the surface--I laid mine using a pick. Just make sure you have an electrician hook it up at both ends. I suggest using conduit on the outside of the coop to bring the wiring up as high as possible before going inside the coop and then putting the outlets and lighting up high. Also all outlets should be the outdoor type with covers to prevent dust from entering when not in use. Using an extension cord is not a good option especially if you live where you're going to get snow/sleet/freezing rain as they can become a hazard. At best they are a temporary solution.

Despite what the Luddites that post on here have said having the advantage of power to your coop will be handy, especially in the winter. While my grandparents didn't have it they didn't have indoor plumbing, central heat, antibiotics nor automobiles, that doesn't mean that since they are now available that you shouldn't take advantage of them. BTW, after carrying water 50 yards to my coop for 25 winters, I finally had a hydrant installed right by the door--I'd highly recommend it as a time and energy saving device as well. If you're serious about keeping chickens then you will need to make it as easy a job as possible because it can become a burden that you will want to give up.

I have power and water run to my coop and it is awesome. I used bx cable ( wire surrounded by flexible steel casing ) for running the power in the coop . I use the power for lights and to run a fan in summer as it gets way hot here in AZ .

Back
Top Bottom