Eletric Fencing?

poultry guy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Many people have told me i should use eltric fencing to keep foxes away, but what about keeping chickens in? is the fencing effective enough to do both? i would really like to know
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif

Here's an amusing tale of 'serves her right'.

A property owner here in Thailand erected an electric fence to prevent intruders from climbing in over her wall. She connected it to the mains supply. Someone climbed the wall one night, was electrocuted and died. Now that's regarded as a step too far in defending your property even though you can shoot intruders.

The police decided to look around her property and found that she was growing marijuana.

I have heard about keeping a couple geese in with your flock as a hawk deterrent. Supposedly a hawk is less likely to attack if there's a bird twice its size in the same area.

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience to say its true or not. Best of luck to you. Give your birds some cover to run under.

I am using the poultry netting from Premier. I bought 300' of it just over a year ago, and have since bought 300' more, giving them a 100X200' run area. This, IMO, was one of the best things I have done for those chickens. I have a ongoing fox problem here. I lost 16 birds to them in two daytime attacks. I could not let the chickens out without somebody being there with them. Now, they get out everyday, and I don't have to worry about them anymore. As far as chickens going over the fence. I had one out of my nineteen, the first day the fence was up, go over. I gave her a clipped wing, and I haven't had a problem since. I am using the 48" high PoultryPlus netting. The posts are closer together, 8' instead of 12', the posts are heavier, with two ground stakes. I am powering mine with 115VAC. There is a solar powered charger available if that's what you want. Check out Premier's website, give them a call.
Jack

My dominiques can be confined by electrified poultry netting but not my games that can fly very well.

I can even give red foxes a hard time with electric wire if it is placed about 6 inches from pens that slow fox's progress.

No, an electric fence will not reliability keep chickens inside. The way an electric fence keeps foxes at bay is to condition them to associate close approach to your chicken coop with a sudden, unexpected and painful electric shock

Notice how wide a birth the fox in this video gives the chickens and their coop after only one lessen.

Its just my personal opinion, but I would have put the electric fence just inside the tree line. I would want the predators to avoid the area,not just the coops and also its easier to convince predators to stay away from an area than it is to allow them close to prey and then try to convince them to not go after it.

Back
Top Bottom