Emercency! Need responses now!

OK, my experience with botulism is that it doesn't happen overnight - it works itself up to where the hen is not acting right - if you are experiencing sudden deaths, I don't think it's botulism. You would see signs of it beforehand

I'm so sorry for your loss. You definitely did all you could.
hugs.gif

Quote:
What would your guess be? I had a few get into something and although I didn't necropsy I think it was botulism by their symptoms. It took them 3 days though to pass.

At 16 weeks could it have been egg bound? Being a barred rock they do start early. Can't think what else would come on that fast with no previous symptoms

Quote:
What would your guess be? I had a few get into something and although I didn't necropsy I think it was botulism by their symptoms. It took them 3 days though to pass.

At 16 weeks could it have been egg bound? Being a barred rock they do start early. Can't think what else would come on that fast with no previous symptoms

IMO - I would have a necropsy done - it sounds like something contagious

Quote:
Find and join a local poultry club where you can get some hands-on mentoring. I'm not talking 4H, although there are many good 4H poultry groups out there; I am talking about a poultry club made up of breeders and exhibitors, at least some of whom have been raising chickens for many, many years.

Biting flies and mosquitoes can and often do carry disease. Her body being stiff is not a sign of botulism, although it does not rule it out. With the heavy rain you mentioned, that certainly set the case for things to mold. Wet pox is another possibility. And there are many more. If available at low or no cost through your state vet, get a necropsy done to find out the actual cause of death so you can do whatever is needed to protect the rest of your flock.

Do you have any books on keeping poultry? Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow is an excellent resource.

I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Sorry for your Loss, Farmkid, I have some farm kids of my own, who would also be devistated by the loss of one of our chicks. hang in there.

I Only have one question/suggestion. We live in a similiar climate, In south Carolina, very hot, humid, alot of rain recently and I think what has help us the most it that our coop is elevated off the ground. helps keep them cool in the summer and helps keep the moisture down. also helping control odor and mold. We build ours very similiar to this one listed on the site ..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3005-Coop_Page

This
open floor allows the liquid part of the poop to fall through the floor and absorb into the ground. take a look see if that may help.

Again sorry for your loss.

The Gibby's
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom