EMERGENCY! Baby chick found in coop on the floor, barely alive! UPDATE

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
HELP!!!! I just got to my dad's house to check on our two broodies and my sister and I found a baby chick lying motionless on the floor of the coop. I really thought he was dead because his body was cold, but then I saw him barely breathing. I brought him inside immediately and he's still hanging on and moved a little. His eyes are shut and he's not peeping, in fact his eyes look foggy and listless. I'm holding him in my hand with a warm light over him and his breathing is very faint, but he seems to be holding on.

HELP!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't know how long he's been lying on the floor without heat...He looks like he hatched last night or early this morning because his feathers aren't completely feathered out.

Update: the poor little baby started peeping very weakly! He's definitely a fighter! I just hope he's not too far gone!
fl.gif
sad.png
What can I do for the poor little chick? Help!

He just opened his eyes for the first time!!!
celebrate.gif
That gives me hope that we saved him just in time! For now all I can do is pray and keep him warm and hope he makes it.
fl.gif
I've been talking to him and making peeping noises and he seems to sometimes respond to it

anything else I can do??

Quote:
Thank you!!!! Are you sure if I give him some water he can drink it on his own??

*I just gave him a tiny drop of water with sugar in it. hope it helps!!!*

Last edited:
Easier and safer might be to get a wash cloth and get it wet with very very warm water, squeeze it out and put in a ziploc bag. squeeze out the air and lay the chick in a warm spot and if you have a small towel, cover it up a little. When the cloth starts to cool, reheat in the microwave a little, not too hot and keep it warm that way. Another idea I have been told, put it in your bra, between your *eh hem* , it is very warm and will keep it warm. Personally, I would put it in a paper towel or something first, then setting it in there.
Good luck!

UPDATE: Hope, which is what we've decided to name the little chick, is doing much better now! She's in her own brooder box witha warm light and her own sock bed. She's peeping and seems curious and wanting to explore around a bit, which she is attempting at the moment!!!
love.gif
lol.png
SOOO CUTE!! I will have to post pictures!!! She's still a little wobbly but is looking around and trying to walk/stand up.

I'm amazed that she made it. I really thought she was a goner when my sister found her. She looked like someone had stepped on her!
sad.png
Poor baby! She must really be a fighter. I'm just glad we happened to find her today! If she would have stayed out there for another hour or so, there's no doubt in my mind she wouldn't have made it.

Thanks for all the help!
hugs.gif
wee.gif

Well, little Hope seemed better enough to go back out under momma hen.
smile.png
AFter candling, two or more eggs have the chicks trying to press up through the air bubble with their beaks and that means they should be hatching soon!
big_smile.png
fl.gif
I'm a little scared to leave Hope outside under momma hen, who is a small buff Cochin Bantam hen named Pumpkin. This is her 2nd attempt at being a broody, and for the first time in her 2 attempts, she hatched out her own chick! She's not very aggressive and easily gets kicked out of the nest, even if she's sitting on the eggs, by the other hens. Tomorrow I'm planning on putting a temporary fence of mesh wire around the two nest boxes (there are 3 total, 2 each are occupied by a broody hen) to keep other hens from bothering her.

When I showed Hope to Pumpkin, she immediately looked over at her and started clucking softly in a motherly way. For a moment I was worried she would peck at her, but she didn't. Hope crawled under her warm feathers with the rest of the eggs. She seems safe and warm and should be for the rest of the night, but I'm still worried about leaving her out there. I would take her in and keep her in the brooder box, but it doesn't feel right to take her away from Pumpkin.
sad.png

Any thoughts???? WHat would you do if you were in this situation? Bring her inside and put her in the brooder box, or let Pumpkin take care of her for tonight?

Back
Top Bottom