Emergency ! Baby chick is not walking !

Have you tried putting food in your hand and offering it to her that way

Shes
Have you tried putting food in your hand and offering it to her that way

She's a day old so I'm not worried about her eating much but not she doesn't. I tried offering it and she pecked at it then fell asleep. All she does it sleep and scoot around. Is it normal for one day old chicks not knowing how to walk the first day

Shes
She's a day old so I'm not worried about her eating much but not she doesn't. I tried offering it and she pecked at it then fell asleep. All she does it sleep and scoot around. Is it normal for one day old chicks not knowing how to walk the first day

How many chicks do you have

My broody just hatched a baby today. However it hardly cheeps and lays down. I put her by food but she just lays there. She does walk a few times but not much at all. She won't drink or eat
The chick is probably tired and weak after hatching. Unless you are going to let the mother hen raise the chicks, I would isolate the chick in a brooder. Make sure it is warm (90-95 degrees F.), and just let it rest for a few hours. Then offer it some feed/water and see whether there has been any improvement. If not, I would recommend doing the following:

If you have any/can get some, put some chicken vitamin/electrolytes (like Sav-a-Chic) in some water, along with some probiotics. Drip this water on the chick's beak, or dip its beak in the water. In most cases, this will cause chicks to drink. Show the chick its source of water (preferably a chick waterer) and dip its beak into that so it can know where the water is.

As for food, see if the chick will eat some scrambled or hard-boiled eggs, applesauce, or chick feed that has been moistened. If you have any, mealworms would probably entice it to eat, too. If the chick won't eat on its own, dissolve some chick feed in water to form a thin soup. Then, see if you can get the chick to drink the food/water mixture. Keep in mind, though, that while the chick should get eating, it is even more important that it is well hydrated. Feed is not as important during the first 24-48 hours as water is.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I did what bantam lover said except I kept baby with mom. The mom seems to be helping. She shows the baby where food is and is keeping her fairly warm. So far she is still stumbling but she is eating

Back
Top Bottom