1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EMERGENCY- Bubbles/blisters on ducklings feet--HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by samuelsonfarm, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You know, I was wondering if you could put down four inches of shavings and then sit towels on top of that. I know that shavings stick to towels but I have been able to get them all off with a few rapid snaps of the towel (outside, of course). Then the shavings could absorb some moisture but the towel would be kinder to the feet.

2. samuelsonfarm

samuelsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    She is eating and drinking well. We are keeping her as comfy as possible. IN the middle of a winter storm, so there's no getting to TSC tonight. Tomorrow maybe. The link you sent said no ointment. What do you think? I'm fearful of infection. I could do coconut oil, or ACV water.

3. samuelsonfarm

May 27, 2013
    Oh, and an update: Both ducks have significantly reduced swelling on their feet. Paprika seems nearly 100% back to normal size/shape with exception to the small patch of skin that sloughed off of the top of one toe. I am going to continue to put ointment on that and keep it very clean. Raspberry's feet are still puffy, but MUCH better. I'd say about 75% recovered. The skin looks papery and it may fall off, but I think she's recovering well. This is an awful thing to go through...I hope no one has to face causing an injury to their animals like this. These poor little creatures count on me for their safety and health! They are so sweet nonetheless. My daughter Hannah is hand feeding and watering them. I wish I would have taken a photo of the blisters when I first noticed them. It might have been helpful to someone. Oh well, I'll try to photograph them tonight.

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    dont be so hard on your self stuff happens to every one one time my dog killed six duckling cause she wanted to be the mom to them i didnt know that i had left the door open to the out side room to where i kept them at the time

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you have Epsom salt, use it. Otherwise, sea salt or even regular salt dissolved in water - maybe a teaspoon per cup - should be good. Saline solution is a natural antimicrobial.

I would spritz or dribble a little saline solution on the feet and legs to clean them off before applying ointment.

Have you checked to see if any other parts, like the belly or the vent, were burned?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm wondering if plain aloe vera gel would work, all I can think of is remember when we use to think putting butter was a good idea on burns something about holding the burn in, I don't know if antibiotic ointment would be the same, but I do know that aloe is soothing to burns, then the Veterycin also.

Always a plus when they are eating and drinking glad to hear your seeing improvements.
    [​IMG]

7. samuelsonfarm

May 27, 2013
    Update: seems as though the blisters have popped due to the toenails poking them. Paprika is acting completely normal and seems unfazed. Raspberry feet are very tender and she doesn't stand unless she has to. She is still eating and drinking well. I'm continuing with ointment because I'm worried about infection. Heading to TSC this morning to see if I can get my hand on some spray.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bless their hearts, keep doing what you are and hopefully now that the blisters have popped they will begin to heal up. Did you ever get any pics?

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    While you are out, perhaps some antibiotic cream would be a good idea - it lets air get to the skin and I think that will be important for Raspberry's more severe burns.

10. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have some stuff here at my house that a Amish lady makes its for live stock but she said that she will use it for her self if she get burn or gets bad cuts ect well any way one time i stuck my hand on my wood stove to catch my self from falling i got a really bad burn and the wood stove was hot and had a ton of wood in it well i put that stuff on my hand and it was gone the next morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by