emergency chick with Coccidiosis. Help

Raven81

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Te Anau NZ
i found one of my 9 wk old chicks huddled up & blood on her butt after looking up the poop page i see it could be Coccidiosis what can i do to save her & the other chicks.

If she has coccidiosis, the cure is simple. Liquid Amprolium in the water, two teaspoons per gallon of water, for 5-7 days. Go ahead and medicate the entire age group and keep them where they will drink only that water during the time they're being medicated.

You're sure the blood is from her poop and not some kind of wound? I would definitely check for a wound to make very sure. Otherwise, it sounds very likely to be cocci.

You can usually get Corid (brand name for liquid Amprolium) at your local feed store for around $20, hopefully less.

Sorry, didn't check your location.
hide.gif

Where do you get supplies? Pet store? If you can't find it locally, you might be able to order it online. Here, we can get it from Jeffers. I'm sure it's a different brand name here, but Amprolium is marketed for all sorts of animals - cows, pigs, rabbits, goats......the dosage i told you is for 9.6% liquid. If you get a different form, we can figure out the dosage. It also sometimes comes in powder in a stronger concentration.

we get it from a rural supplies or vets. i have given her some AHE via a syringe to hopefully help her & have seperated her from the rest but i guess ill have to take them out of the coop & clean it out with disinfectant.

What's AHE?

Taking them out of the coop and disinfecting it is really not helpful unless your coop is particularly packed with feces. Coccidiosis isn't like other diseases. The organisms live in your soil, and it is a necessary part of being a chicken for them to develop immunity to these organisms. Medicating them with a coccidiostadt, and not an antibiotic (antibiotics don't fight cocci) is really the most important thing to do. You can also ease their discomfort by feeding yogurt or other milk products to increase mucous in the intestines.

AHE animal health elixer its got apple cider vineger, garlic, seaweed & manuka honey plus vitamins. as it is a saturday here we cant get anything till monday.

Quote:
Well, that's my personal opinion on it. If you do give it to them, you want to make sure you're exposing them to soil and/or adult feces at the same time. Otherwise, all it's doing is blocking vitamin absorption.

As to the AHE, i'm a little concerned about your giving them those vitamins right now. Normally, that would obviously be beneficial. But because cocci protozoa feed on thiamin, it might not be helpful to give them more thiamin to feed on. I think i would concentrate on giving them plain yogurt to help them weather this.

I had hoped that you could get medicine tomorrow. Here, the feed stores are usually open on Saturday, so it isn't a problem.

yea over here only the main shops open in the weekend. i tried giving her yogurt but she didnt want it i managed to get a bit into her with the syringe thou.
oh i forgot to say they have been out side on the lawn for the last 4 weeks ( since we have had them ) & they have also had a tub of dirt for them to scratch & bathe in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom