Emergency! Chickens dieing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PigionLover112, Apr 15, 2019.

1. PigionLover112

PigionLover112 Chirping

Jun 3, 2015
    Los angeles

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    While the symptoms you have described do not necessarily spell out VND, the state veterinarian has asked that all unusual deaths be reported… and you are in the "hot zone" so it is even more important that you let them know what's going on. See below
    Please report sick birds or unusual deaths!
    • USDA's toll free number: 1-866-536-7593

3. PigionLover112

PigionLover112 Chirping

Jun 3, 2015
    You were right! I went out this night and noticed a discolored area. It was completely filled with red mites.

CaramelKittey and Shezadandy like this.
  4. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Where are you located?

5. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Oh, Haven’t you heard of virulent Newcastle’s disease? That is currently going around and it affects pigeons as well as chickens.I am really scared that it will come into my area because I am just up the road from LA.

Shezadandy likes this.
  6. PigionLover112

PigionLover112 Chirping

Jun 3, 2015
    So I just figured out what it is. It's an infestation of mites

7. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Then go get mite treatment! And NOT DE. Actual, chemical, strong mite treatment.

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  8. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    If it's in your budget, Elector PSP is a great option, but you would be well advised to give your remaining chickens a dusting - not DE - permethrin - there should be multiple options at your feed supply store. Do this ASAP to get them some relief. The Elector PSP - a little goes a long way. It does take 2-3 days for it to kill the mites- you can spray it ALL OVER - if you can replace your roosts- look for dark cracks where the little menaces are hiding at night and so on. Here's a good resource for treatment options:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

9. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    That is really scary stuff!!!

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of your hens? Whole body and legs too?
    How are they doing?

I agree with the others. Get some Permethrin poultry dust or spray and treat all your hens. Clean out your coop/bedding/nesting boxes and treat the whole thing with the Permethrin as well. Repeat in 7-10 day intervals.
    The Elector PSP that was mentioned is supposed to be very effective, if you can get that it would be good to use.

I would also give the hens some poultry vitamins that contain B vitamins to build them back up. Poultry Cell would be my choice on that. You can also offer them a little beef liver to give them a boost. Make sure everyone is eating/drinking well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: