Emergency! Chickens dieing!

Los angeles
While the symptoms you have described do not necessarily spell out VND, the state veterinarian has asked that all unusual deaths be reported… and you are in the "hot zone" so it is even more important that you let them know what's going on. See below
Please report sick birds or unusual deaths!
  • USDA's toll free number: 1-866-536-7593

Would you be able to check them for parasites? Is it possible that there are red mites sucking their blood at night? I'm not to well informed when it comes to diseases but it could be a possibility. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :D

So sorry for the loss of your birds. I hope you can stop the cause of the deaths and save the rest of your flock! Good luck!
You were right! I went out this night and noticed a discolored area. It was completely filled with red mites.

I need help, my chickens are starting to die only days apart. So the first day three of my chickens died, showing no problems the day prior. Just one day alive next dead. Then a day later another of my chickens died, same thing. Showing no problems prier to death. Then a few days ago one of my chickens did show problems, she was having problems with the reflexes in her feet. Like it took a while for her to figure out how to place them. Then I went out this morning and she was down, she couldn't get up whatsoever, when I tried to pick her up she wouldn't close her wing. It was completely tensed up. Does anyone know what's happening. Someone please help me!!!!
Where are you located?

While the symptoms you have described do not necessarily spell out VND, the state veterinarian has asked that all unusual deaths be reported… and you are in the "hot zone" so it is even more important that you let them know what's going on. See below
Please report sick birds or unusual deaths!
  • USDA's toll free number: 1-866-536-7593
So I just figured out what it is. It's an infestation of mites

If it's in your budget, Elector PSP is a great option, but you would be well advised to give your remaining chickens a dusting - not DE - permethrin - there should be multiple options at your feed supply store. Do this ASAP to get them some relief. The Elector PSP - a little goes a long way. It does take 2-3 days for it to kill the mites- you can spray it ALL OVER - if you can replace your roosts- look for dark cracks where the little menaces are hiding at night and so on. Here's a good resource for treatment options:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

I need help, my chickens are starting to die only days apart. So the first day three of my chickens died, showing no problems the day prior. Just one day alive next dead. Then a day later another of my chickens died, same thing. Showing no problems prier to death. Then a few days ago one of my chickens did show problems, she was having problems with the reflexes in her feet. Like it took a while for her to figure out how to place them. Then I went out this morning and she was down, she couldn't get up whatsoever, when I tried to pick her up she wouldn't close her wing. It was completely tensed up. Does anyone know what's happening. Someone please help me!!!!

No. She was just lying there. Unable to get up

Just about 4 years

You were right! I went out this night and noticed a discolored area. It was completely filled with red mites.

So I just figured out what it is. It's an infestation of mites
Can you post some photos of your hens? Whole body and legs too?
How are they doing?

I agree with the others. Get some Permethrin poultry dust or spray and treat all your hens. Clean out your coop/bedding/nesting boxes and treat the whole thing with the Permethrin as well. Repeat in 7-10 day intervals.
The Elector PSP that was mentioned is supposed to be very effective, if you can get that it would be good to use.

I would also give the hens some poultry vitamins that contain B vitamins to build them back up. Poultry Cell would be my choice on that. You can also offer them a little beef liver to give them a boost. Make sure everyone is eating/drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom