Emergency...Chickens need help, food, water, electric lines down...

on watering - you might just place fruit - if you have any - in a paper bag... the fruit will have enough moisture to address some of the water needs.. frozen veggies will do this too - any food with a high moisture content...

Quote:
DEFINATELY NOT !!! those boots and gloves that the linemen ear are special and the tiniest pin hole can kill someone.. I doubt your boots are eletric proof.. and I KNOW your gloves are not..

reality check here.. them : just chickens.. You ,,, your kids might miss you.........

okay so the best thing would be to just wait then...

I don't have kids they ARE my kids! (never found the right one for me)

I can't get close enough to hit the pens and theres no windows into the houses and coops I've been trying I was able to throw feed at lassie and feed her ( my collie dog that gaurds the chicks) but I couldnt get close enough to the chickens

Leeanna, Since there is not much I can do about the lines, I am guessing your chickies are locked up in the coop or run ?

What does your mother say about this ? Many times the transformer will switch when the lines are down. You need to explain to the electric company that you do not know if the lines are live are that the transformer has shut down. Can you get to the pole that has the numbers for your account ? There are numbers on the pole that HOE uses to identify your property.

If you can get to it without risking your life, then get the numbers and call HOE. The numbers will be where your meter is. If you do not read your meter, then your information is sent by radio waves or through the lines to the co op . They will know that your power is off at the meter, BUT they will not know about the lines down on your property.

I know you called them, but call again with the numbers if you can get to them.

Quote:
I stopped reading these post after I got to this one. Please Please do not attempt that. I know you need to care for the chickens but you could wind up dead.

Quote:
Ok, from this post I can tell you didnt go in there. The chickens can probably glean enough water from the snow, ¿right? You can throw food in from a safe distance, ¿no?

Maybe get a thin baloon and over fill it with feed so that it is about to bust and throw it in the pen.

Let us know.

rim my mother went back to arkansas where she lives. She doesn't have anything to do with me really she was just down at the time when I went to meet you and she just happen to be in town. She just comes down to see me sometimes.

I've talked and sent reports to HOE and the most i've got is stay away and we do read our meters but they should know theres lines down after four reports and calling them three times.

I've been told by a HOE worker previously a few years ago to stay away from this line and it would be better if we burried it but... we didn't and I regret not doing this now... it is LIVE and naked we didn't think the tree was near it enough for a limb to hit it but it was...

ANYTHING, INCLUDING ROPE, RUBBER, AND AIR WILL CONDUCT
ELECTRICITY IF THE VOLTAGE IS HIGH ENOUGH. Don't try anything
near a power line. The risk is not worth it.

Are you sure it is a power line, not a phone or cable line? Can you post
a pic?

Chickens can last a while without food or water.

it is a powerline it is hooked to a large transformer. I will get pics later today when I go out to start feeding the horses.

Back
Top Bottom