Emergency/ Could my chicken pass from the cold?

Yorkshire_Hobbit

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
I've had to take my chicken into the house as my husband has said that she is unresponsive, could this be due to cold weather? It's been -5 overnight. they are locked into their coop overnight, the other chickens are fine and healthy. What could be wrong and is there any chance she'll make it?

It is possible, warm her up slowly. don't blow a heater on her directly just let her sit in a room temp. area. If she has any frostbite don't touch it, it just makes it worse.

Most healthy chickens will survive the cold if out of direct wind, and kept dry. If chickens get sick, it seems that it may happen more often during a molt or in severe cold weather. You will need to check her over for mites and lice, feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, firm, or soft. Then look for a pale or dark comb, see if she can stand and walk, look at her poops and take pictures, not if her tail position is up or down. Does she have any secretions from her beak, nostrils or eyes. Let us know. Offer some water with sugar 1 tsp per cup or electrolytes held up to the beak.

Back
Top Bottom