emergency duck egg rescue incubation

Yah the closest looking ducks I can find pictures of are maybe the golden 300 hybrids? Ey looked like ducks that were too big to be the flying type so I'm guessing some domestic hybrid I guess its going to be a mystery mix like vwduckchick said :) I'll definitely keep y'all posted

So what does it mean if it appears that the yolk and veins are sticking to one side of the egg? There's 2 eggs that appear this way, does this mean they will get stuck at hatch? Is my temp or humidity possibly off? Its a still air bator that is programmed to 102 ( the thermometer next to eggs reads 99.5) at this setting so it seems right humidity is about 45% and I mist them with warm water daily since I can't seem to get humidity higher, is there anything I could be doing wrong?

How often are you turning them? Sometimes it's from not enough turning, but sometimes they will just start to develop that way (on one side) and then they even out later on in incubation. Back when I was an Avian Keeper I had one nest box of Orinoco Goose eggs that were all developing only on one half of the egg. I suspected at the time that the hen maybe wasn't turning them, but you know what? They all hatched out just fine with no issues.

Is it possible for you to post a pic of you candling one of them?

Yes I will try to get a pic while candling, and I am turning ten at least 3 times a day and making sure that ever night they are on the opposite side of the night before cuz that's where they sit the longest, I'll take a pic in about an hour on their last turn of the day thank you :)

Well 3 eggs look great, they move slightly when turned and show great veins! The other 3 seem to show a blood ring in the center of the yolk ( these were the ones who appeared stuck ) and I'm not seeing any veins but one has a small dark spot in the middle of the blood ring... This means they are no good correct? I tried taking a pic with my phone but it was terrible :hmm but maybe my tablet can get a better one, lemme try lol

And I tried with my tablet to get a pic and it was terrible also, the 3 that I think are good look exactly like they should for day 6 on the candling chart above, are ere any links to pictures of bad candled eggs maybe that you know of? Thank you again for any input you have all been be helpful! :)

That doesn't sound promising, but I would keep them in the incubator a few more days and candle again. I had one egg last year that I thought had a blood ring up around the air cell, but I am notoriously paranoid and kept it in for a few more days to be sure. When I candled it again there were veins everywhere! So, you never know. ;)

I don't have any pics handy, but if you do a Google search for "duck egg blood ring" you'll see lots of pics of eggs with blood rings and some you can see the dark embryo in the center like you're describing. Is that what you're seeing?

Glad to hear the other 3 look good, though! :)

I agree give it more time. Not going to hurt anything to leave them in for a while. I also had a couple that I thought were blood rings, and they proved me wrong and cleared up. I think what I was seeing was just a good strong blood vessel. When in doubt, leave it in.

Yah I think I'm going to give them til at least day 10 before I rule them out, they just look so different from the other 3 but I'm not giving up yet

Back
Top Bottom