emergency duck egg rescue incubation

Well it has been a week and I candled again tonight and I am definitely down to 3 eggs, the others the yolk had gone flat to the bottom of the eggs, no veins no movement. On the bright side the 3 that are still kicking look really good! Lots of veins so I'm hopeful for these 3 :) I'll keep posting as I keep checking them and let you know how it turn out :) thanks again everyone for your advice and help along the way!

Last edited:
Good news that you have 3 going well. Sorry about the others, but if you rescue 3, I think that's awesome

I woke up to my first pip this morning. So I'll be glued to the window today lol

Hi, My duck has been sitting on her eggs for +- 28 days but she got off her eggs and went out the gate now we don't know where she is. I need some advice about the eggs please, and how to incubate them.

Hi, My duck has been sitting on her eggs for +- 28 days but she got off her eggs and went out the gate now we don't know where she is. I need some advice about the eggs please, and how to incubate them.

Do you have a strong flashlight you could candle them with? That'd be the first step, just to be sure the eggs are still good and the ducklings are alive in there. Do you have an incubator you can stick them into? Or another broody duck/hen you could stick them under? You'll need to do something pretty quick to keep them warm or they won't survive.

Well I candled again tonight and I am down to 2 it looks like, I definitely saw the other 2 moving inside though which is very exciting!!! :) it is day 10 so I'm hoping maybe that means these 2 are the stronger ones. I'll keep posting as I know what's going on, oh and should I crack open the dud once I've ruled it out? It looks like another blood ring but not 100% sure yet.

Well I candled again tonight and I am down to 2 it looks like, I definitely saw the other 2 moving inside though which is very exciting!!!
smile.png
it is day 10 so I'm hoping maybe that means these 2 are the stronger ones. I'll keep posting as I know what's going on, oh and should I crack open the dud once I've ruled it out? It looks like another blood ring but not 100% sure yet.

You won't be able to tell much with the embryo so young if you crack it open, but when you're positive it isn't alive of course you can! It's kind of interesting to see what they look like at different stages of development, too. It's when they die later on in incubation that you can sometimes tell what went wrong when you crack them open. Sometimes you'll see that the embryo got stuck to the side of the shell, or maybe see deformities in the duckling.

Sorry you seem to have lost another one, but at least those other two are still going! None of them would be alive at all if not for you. :)

You won't be able to tell much with the embryo so young if you crack it open, but when you're positive it isn't alive of course you can! It's kind of interesting to see what they look like at different stages of development, too. It's when they die later on in incubation that you can sometimes tell what went wrong when you crack them open. Sometimes you'll see that the embryo got stuck to the side of the shell, or maybe see deformities in the duckling.

Sorry you seem to have lost another one, but at least those other two are still going! None of them would be alive at all if not for you. :)

x2 Good luck with the last two!

I candled again last night and the 2 eggs were movie g around like crazy in there, its amazing how they respond to the light! About halfway there now so hopefully these 2 will make it

Back
Top Bottom