EMERGENCY EGG BOUND/PROLAPSE - PLEASE HELP!!!

schmshel31

Hatching
Mar 21, 2021
I have a 3 year old golden laced wyandotte with some serious issues. About three days ago I noticed he vent was prolapsed so I brought her inside and began giving her epsom salt baths daily. I applied vaseline and kept her in a warm dark place to inhibit laying. She did end up laying an egg on the first day but I can already tell she is egg bound once again. She is very lethargic and I'm afraid we will lose her today if we can't get this figured out. There are no farm vets near me that will look at poultry so I am on my own here. There appears to he a very hard white mass that is preventing her from pooping or laying. I'm not sure if I should be pushing it back in or trying to get it out of the hole on the side but neither is working after hours of effort. I am able to feel the egg in her abdomen so I'm hoping I will be able to get it pushed out as soon as the mass is out of the way. She is not eating or drinking and also has an impacted crop so it is very urgent. I would also like to add that we have had this problem once before and simply removing the white mass seemed to solve the problem. Does anyone have any ideas or know what these masses are or how I can get it out? I don't think it's simply poop. I will attach pictures for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    933.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1968.jpg
    IMG_1968.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 11
About three days ago I noticed he vent was prolapsed so I brought her inside and began giving her epsom salt baths daily. I applied vaseline and kept her in a warm dark place to inhibit laying. She did end up laying an egg on the first day but I can already tell she is egg bound once again.
Welcome to the forum! :welcome

I am looking forward to any responses from people with experience on this issue. I have yet to deal with this issue. However, from reading, a prolapsed vent is a very serious condition.

Anyway, here is a video I found on the subject which might help you. Sorry, the media link does not work, but here is the address:

When your chicken has a vent prolapse, it can be startling and distressing – for you and the hen.

She did end up laying an egg on the first day but I can already tell she is egg bound once again. She is very lethargic and I'm afraid we will lose her today if we can't get this figured out.

There appears to he a very hard white mass that is preventing her from pooping or laying. I'm not sure if I should be pushing it back in or trying to get it out of the hole on the side but neither is working after hours of effort. I am able to feel the egg in her abdomen

I am able to feel the egg in her abdomen so I'm hoping I will be able to get it pushed out as soon as the mass is out of the way. She is not eating or drinking and also has an impacted crop so it is very urgent. I would also like to add that we have had this problem once before and simply removing the white mass seemed to solve the problem.
You mention that you have removed a white mass before - was it lash egg/material. Salpingitis?

An egg in the abdominal cavity can't be removed without a vet's intervention and surgery would likely kill her.

To me that "mass" looks like Lash Material. Hard to tell if that dry red looking membrane toward the top of it is some oviduct or not - probably is since I see blood veins.
This video may be helpful. I'm sorry, she looks like she's in pretty bad shape.

Back
Top Bottom