EMERGENCY! HEN IN SHOCK

Is there any water in that water station?
Hard to know what's going on.

If she's hiding out and avoiding the rooster - then penning him up may help. It looks like she's being mated quite a bit.
Work on getting her hydrated - give plain fresh clean water. Then offer some nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Telling us what you feed would be good - a photo of the tag or the bag?

Does this hen lay eggs?

Nah - extra calcium, I would give if a hen is egg bound, prolapsed or having difficulties with a soft shelled egg.
Oyster shell free choice is what I provide. 1 Calcium tablet probably won't hurt, but it's good to know what's going on first.

Yes, there is water that she can access

This hen does lay eggs

I could also show what food they are eating but i don't have the bags anymore sadly.

To be honest im not 100% sure what happened, i was gone when it happened. But my guess is that the rooster chased her (most likely to mate her) and the hen problably stopped at a bad spot and she got hurt by the rooster and the location she stopped running in.

If you can't separate out the rooster, then cage her with her own food/water and let her rest.
A hen that is continually harassed by rooster(s) isn't able to eat/drink/preen/dust bath, etc. and their health can suffer for it.
20210603_203105.jpg

I have now caged her, i really hope she survives the night :fl

This has happened to 2 of our hens. The first, which we caught too late, was a victim of sour crop. We assume she must have munched something indigestible early in the day and by the time the telltale black ooze started coming from her beak we were too late to save her.

The second hen had been “attacked” by our dog (I put that in quotes because while it certainly caused mental trauma, there were no signs of injury). We gave her a quiet space to recoup and she was better in 2 days... until she returned to the flock and was accosted immediately by the roo. It has been about 10 days since her experience with the roo and she is still quarantined in a private stall in the hen house for her own safety. She shows no desire to leave her isolation chamber, even for the promise of free ranging. She hasn’t laid an egg since. She has finally begun to explore her immediate area instead of hiding in the nest box though, so there’s progress.

Is there any water in that water station?
Hard to know what's going on.

If she's hiding out and avoiding the rooster - then penning him up may help. It looks like she's being mated quite a bit.
Work on getting her hydrated - give plain fresh clean water. Then offer some nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Telling us what you feed would be good - a photo of the tag or the bag?

Does this hen lay eggs?

Nah - extra calcium, I would give if a hen is egg bound, prolapsed or having difficulties with a soft shelled egg.
Oyster shell free choice is what I provide. 1 Calcium tablet probably won't hurt, but it's good to know what's going on first.
If the hen is laying, does she need an extra calcium source? I wish I saved the good responses I read and think “this may be helpful for my own flock someday!”

It was something about a hen going into shock due to a lack of calcium - like, they need it to make the shell of the egg, and if they don’t have a supplement to the feed, they can shut down fairly quickly or have a heart attack.

I’m new at this. 😬

If the hen is laying, does she need an extra calcium source? I wish I saved the good responses I read and think “this may be helpful for my own flock someday!”

It was something about a hen going into shock due to a lack of calcium - like, they need it to make the shell of the egg, and if they don’t have a supplement to the feed, they can shut down fairly quickly or have a heart attack.

I’m new at this. 😬
Yea i don't think its because of a lack of calcium, its definetly the rooster i think. I don't have any calcium tablets or oyster shells but ill be giving her the food i usually give to my chickens, and some lettuce but i doubt the lettuce will help.

Will be curious to see how she is this morning....and what her poops look like.
My first thought is your location and how hot it might be there.
No doubt that a male harassing her can lead to stress and affect overall health.

Heat stroke may be a real possibility:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Yes, it would be good to know the feed percentages(protein and calcium).
But if that's her regular feed in the pic, cracked grain feeds are best fed wetted or fermented so the fines(vitamins/minerals/amino acids) are not lost in the bottom of feeder and/or bag.

This is what I do when a bird is acting 'off'.
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.

Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

I’m new at this. 😬

My first thought is your location and how hot it might be there.
Good catch!

@Disheygirl it's best to provide oyster shell free choice for laying hens regardless of what you feed.
It would be interesting to read what you are referring to. Lack of calcium in the diet of laying hens, especially production hens and those that are kept in cages (battery cages) could have what's called Cage Layer Fatigue.
In the US most poultry feeds are nutritionally balanced, but nutritional content could be diluted depending on what else the birds are fed. So...bottom line, provide a nutritionally balanced feed (layer, all flock, grower) free choice along with oyster shell and grit (crushed granite) free choice.
Sometimes extra "quick" calcium is needed to help hens that have had prolapse, are struggling with a soft shelled egg or that are egg bound, etc. The "extra" calcium given during these times is for a short period of time - say 3-5 days, since too much calcium can also cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom