Emergency!---I Need Your Assistance Please---About Worms

JP33

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Southeast, Louisiana
This morning after letting the hens out of the coop and feeding them, it was time for poop duty. The bottom of the coop is 1/2" hardware cloth. I have a pull out poop pan under one half the flooring as an experiment in dealing with the poop, etc...

What I do is clean any excrement that has fallen onto the cloth that didn't make it through to the poop pan or dirt below. I rake what poop I can to the side with the poop pan, letting it go through the cloth, then pull the pan out and add to compost. I do this on a daily basis, so the floor stays clean. My chickens free range every day and I have had 6 of them for approx 3 weeks now, 2 only 3 days now.

This morning I discovered what appeared to be a white worm, approx 3" long and the diameter of say 1/3 of an angel hair pasta noodle on the hardware cloth floor of the coop.

The 2 new chickens (7 months old) are laying, the others haven't begun yet, they are roughly 19-20 weeks now, so I am told.

I need your advice please on what to do. I want to take action NOW to remedy this situation before things get out of hand.

I have fed pumpkin to my first 6 and everyone got sphagetti squash yesterday & day before. I don't believe I have time to play around with this so what do you guys recommend is the fastest and safest measure for my birds and myself to rid this worm problem.

Thanks for your time, hints, advice and suggestions!

...JP

There are wormer medications you can give like Wazine (SP) but you won't be able to eat the eggs for a while. Another thought is DE, diatomacious earth, food grade of course.
The squash seeds are a good idea to help keep the worms under control. but depending on how heavy an infestation of eggs in the ranging area you may need a little extra coverage.

purchase ivomec Eprinex (use search function for this forum for dosage) and treat them topical application with that is my advice.

I always go natural with my chicks.. For my 13 silkie bantams I boil up 5 cups of brown rice to 8 cups of water. cook 40-45 mins and set aside half for the chicks and half for myself. I have 2 garlic cookers I bought thru amazon and cook up as many garlic cloves as I can possibly shove in them both. When both are done cooking and warm to touch I mash the garlic and mix into the rice and portion the whole lot into 3 separate containers and give it to them for 3 days in the morning. Works like a charm and they love it!!!!!

Notes: When using the garlic cookers ignore the directions. Take the ceramic ring dunk it in water and put into machine then add a little water to the ring indentation and place the metal bowl on top. Then to the metal bowl add just enough water to cover the ionside bottom. Oil is greasy and not good for chicks to eat. Then take garlic bulbs and just rub off any loose peelings/ coverings with your hands. Put as many bulbs that will fit- cover must close all the way. No need to cut tops off the garlic thats wastefull!!
Separate another garlic bulb into individual cloves and shove the cloves into any open spaces between the larger cloves. Close lid and press button. Takes about 24 mins and they cool in 1/2 hour. When cooled enough to handle take larg heads and cut in half on a plate
or cutting board or squeeze into a bowl. Mash all and add to the rice and mix .I always add some more water to the mash so it is not to dry.
Serve for 3 days - add a little more water each serving if needed.

The garlic machines are cheap last along time cute and ahe a heck of alot easier and cheaper to run than the oven !
Beware of garlic breath, an easy way to tell if all are getting their share.

Last edited:
What type of worm do you think I saw as I described it?

I am a little confused right now as to what to use as I have been offered different suggestions, no offense anyone.

Please keep the advice coming.

...JP

If you use Wazine, that is first and kills a certain type/percentage of worms. Follow up a few weeks later with the broad coverage wormer such as Ivermectin or comparable product. The two steps are easier on the birds as the broad spectrum killer can be especially hard on infected birds if done in a single step. The sudden die off of a large amount of worms and expelling them can be tough on the birds. This two step approach accomplishes the complete kill with minimal stress on the birds compared to using Ivermectin only.

Or try the natural route if you prefer. There are many approaches on the website. "Search" in the above search box for worming, etc. Most seem to like the natural approach for prevention and possibly lightly infected birds.

In the end, you need to decide which type of approach you want to go with.

Last edited:
Ok, after digesting some info about current worm situation, I am leaning towards food grade DE in their food and looking more into silky ma's natural techniques.

In the meantime, is it safe to eat any eggs being layed now?

I think the worm in question could be a round worm after a little research, but I honestly have no concrete clues 100%.

My main concerns are: can the worms be passed to the eggs, then my wife and I?

How harmful are worms to the chickens?

Thanks everyone!

...JP

An informational link to parasites in chickens and roundworms are specifically addressed. Most gurus here are of the opinion, as I recall, if you can see the worms, then your infestation is heavy enough to treat them chemically (Wazine for roundworms). Good luck.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm015

Worms can be very harmful....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom