EMERGENCY - Lethargic after Fluid Draining

This morning was incredibly frustrating. Ruby was perked up, but not feeling well. I brought her outside (thinking being with her friends would motivate her to drink and eat) and the whole flock was subdued from the 50Ā°, breezy, dewy, overcast morning. Ruby did some sitting, as did the others, and also walked around gingerly (with her tail up,) pecking at the ground, but not consuming anything.

When I was about to leave for work, I made a last-minute decision to try tubing fluids. It takes a bit to get the pedialyte warmed up and get everything set up. I got that done and set up an outdoor treatment area under a patio heater. Got Ruby wrapped and positioned. Unfortunately, I had already had coffee. When I have a combo of caffeine and adrenaline, my handles tremble terribly. I attempted three times to tube, unsuccessfully. She fought me hard, which Iā€™m sure was exhausting. I let her enjoy the heat for a minute, told her I loved her, stroked her gently and put her back in the run. Thankfully, Ruby found a sunny spot (the sun had FINALLY poked through) and laid down with her tail down. I plan to go check things out at lunch and tube fluids at that time, if she seems weak, and my hands wonā€™t be trembling. So frustrating. Iā€™m an idiot. Poor Ruby.
:hugs :hugs

I meant to hit post on this hug above this morning! I'm just now seeing I did not.

I just checked on her. She wants to sleep (as do probably ALL chickens at 10:00 at night), but was alert when I woke her. I let her go back to sleep. I donā€™t think sheā€™s going to die overnight and will tube her in the morning if sheā€™s still not drinking.

This morning was incredibly frustrating. Ruby was perked up, but not feeling well. I brought her outside (thinking being with her friends would motivate her to drink and eat) and the whole flock was subdued from the 50Ā°, breezy, dewy, overcast morning. Ruby did some sitting, as did the others, and also walked around gingerly (with her tail up,) pecking at the ground, but not consuming anything.

When I was about to leave for work, I made a last-minute decision to try tubing fluids. It takes a bit to get the pedialyte warmed up and get everything set up. I got that done and set up an outdoor treatment area under a patio heater. Got Ruby wrapped and positioned. Unfortunately, I had already had coffee. When I have a combo of caffeine and adrenaline, my handles tremble terribly. I attempted three times to tube, unsuccessfully. She fought me hard, which Iā€™m sure was exhausting. I let her enjoy the heat for a minute, told her I loved her, stroked her gently and put her back in the run. Thankfully, Ruby found a sunny spot (the sun had FINALLY poked through) and laid down with her tail down. I plan to go check things out at lunch and tube fluids at that time, if she seems weak, and my hands wonā€™t be trembling. So frustrating. Iā€™m an idiot. Poor Ruby.

Back
Top Bottom