EMERGENCY! My sweet girl is too weak to stand/eat. Please help!

Her poop has been watery and brown with a little bit of white in it. She has been gulping down water for the past 20 minutes and has not eaten anything since I found her in the coop at 8pm.

Do you have Nutri Drench? Wyorp Rock recommend vitamins & electrolytes would be very beneficial. What are you feeding, try wetting it (make a mash) and put some boiled egg yolk in it, see if she'll eat that.

You mentioned you found her surrounded by feathers, assuming her feathers ... Is there a roost above the area you found her? My thinking maybe she fell off the roost due to lack of food or dehydration.

@emxisnyder, you stated ... "I was recently given my two chickens (about 5 days ago) so they’re in a new yard, but are in the same coop. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks again!" How many chickens do you have? Assuming the ill one is one of the new ones, is it possible the original flock kept her from the food/water?

I only have two chickens. I was told that the one who is ill is the dominant of the two, but it is definitely possible that their previous owner was wrong. I have wetted her food and she seems more interested in drinking, but I left the food close to her. I do not have Nutri Drench but I plan on running to the feed store first thing tomorrow morning and I will offer her some boiled yolk! Thank you for the ideas!!

Update: she has made it through the morning. She stood up on her own around 5:30 am. I took her out of the laundry basket she is in to see if she might be able to walk and she collapsed and could not move again. I put her back into the laundry basket and it seems like she’s in a deep sleep and was breathing heavily. Any thoughts?

I'm glad she made it thus far, and agree heartily that Nutridrench is going to be your best bet. I also use Sav-a-chick electrolytes to add to water, especially when I suspect dehydration. Plain water does not always absorb into the system without the electrolyte component.
Have you tried some egg this morning? (I scramble them - 30 seconds in a microwave, in a coffee cup then let them cool.)
Pictures of your girl would be most helpful.
Also, maybe a call to the seller from whom you received your bird? Ask for his/her flock history. Have they been dealing with the same thing? A virus is also a possibility.
Best wishes for you and your sweet girl. :)

Eta: The only reason I suggest a possible virus is that the stress of moving, in addition to the heat, can often cause dormant issues to flare up.

I also agree with above posts about giving NutriDrench, fluids, and offering wet chicken feed and egg. Since these two chickens are new to you, and to your dirt, it might not hurt to start some Corid for possible coccidiosis in case the watery droppings are do to that. It is hard to diagnose anything without lab work, such as a fecal float from a vet. After getting her hydrated, possibly giving Corid for 5 days, I would think about worming them both with Valbazen or SafeGuard. The feather loss could be from the two establishing a new pecking order in your coop, but it also could be the start of molting. Molting can be a time of stress, and combined with a move to a new home, she may just need fluids, electrolytes, and some healthy food.

Her poop has been watery and brown with a little bit of white in it. She has been gulping down water for the past 20 minutes and has not eaten anything since I found her in the coop at 8pm.
I only have two chickens. I was told that the one who is ill is the dominant of the two, but it is definitely possible that their previous owner was wrong. I have wetted her food and she seems more interested in drinking,

Let's clarify....she is 3yrs old and you've had her for around 5days?

The interest only in drinking...check her crop-what does that feel like?
She may have been severely dehydrated or have an issue with her crop, but you may want to also consider getting a fecal float as suggested.

Can you post some photos of her and the poop?

One other question - do these girls have the same type water station/container that they had with the previous owner - you didn't switch up from something like a drinking font to nipple watering did you?

She is 3 years old and I’ve had her for 5 days. The water container is exactly the same. Here’s photos of the chicken and her poop. It is now more yellowish in color.

Attachments

• 58388A9A-B71F-48EB-BF15-05D9C2C82D68.jpeg
    58388A9A-B71F-48EB-BF15-05D9C2C82D68.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 3048DF6F-135C-4D09-92A7-9D4AFD9669E7.jpeg
    3048DF6F-135C-4D09-92A7-9D4AFD9669E7.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 4C66022B-83D1-4244-B35B-1BF73C51081A.jpeg
    4C66022B-83D1-4244-B35B-1BF73C51081A.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 12
Was her crop empty this morning?

If possible have a fecal float performed to rule out worms or coccidiosis overload.

Has she laid any eggs since you've had her? Did the previous owner indicate that she was actively laying or if she had any laying issues? Why was the person getting rid of/selling the hens?

Cup your hand under the vent/between the legs-how does that feel, any noticeable swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid? Does her rear end look like it's hanging down?

The poop looks somewhat "eggy" to me, she may be having reproductive/internal laying problems. Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors and Salpingitis can be common in laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom