EMERGENCY. One ducking died, now another acts sick?

Here’s a photo of set up and duckling I’m now concerned about. The other one is a little bigger then this guy, very vocal and moves around a lot. This guy though, not so much. I mixed niacin powder with water and carefully gave it some as the article above instructed. It had 0 interest in drinking on its own.

The food is the chick feed, with a little nutritional yeast, niacin and some water (they won’t touch it dry) and some kale so they’d show more interest. The little one ate some, but not a whole lot compared to the other.
(They’re wet because they insist on sitting IN the food to eat.. 😅)

Any thoughts, opinions? I took out all the bedding, cleaned everything and put in puppy pads.

Attachments

• 3B5CA0C9-A9EE-476A-87EB-C93544503119.jpeg
    3B5CA0C9-A9EE-476A-87EB-C93544503119.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 85A9BFCD-ACBF-42B7-87D9-F96123A7C15A.jpeg
    85A9BFCD-ACBF-42B7-87D9-F96123A7C15A.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 66A186B9-63B4-406C-A650-322AF816F393.jpeg
    66A186B9-63B4-406C-A650-322AF816F393.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 7
You want to use 1 Tab of Nutritional yeast to every cup of feed you give your ducklings. Unless you have chick grit down in a separate container close to feed don't give them anything other than their chick crumb they cannot process any other food without having chick grit. You need to get terramycin eye ointment for the eye. Make a warm saline wash and use a soft cotton ball and clean the eye real good but gently then use the Terramycin. Any respiratory symptoms beside the watery eye? A vet could give you antibiotics to treat if this is respiratory.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842#instructions

Last edited:
You want to use 1 Tab of Nutritional yeast to every cup of feed you give your ducklings. Unless you have chick grit down in a separate container close to feed don't give them anything other than their chick crumb they cannot process any other food without having chick grit. You need to get terramycin eye ointment for the eye. Make a warm saline wash and use a soft cotton ball and clean the eye real good but gently then use the Terramycin. Any respiratory symptoms beside the watery eye? A vet could give you antibiotics to treat if this is respiratory.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842#instructions

The eye cleared up pretty well. The duckling I became concerned about was doing a whole lot better until about an hour ago. He was pooping fine, eating, drinking and walking with no issues. I was actually able to breathe. Fast forward to now, he won’t walk again… I’m down to only 2 out of the 4 and I’m at a loss for words on what’s going on. I followed everyone’s advice in here to a T with Niacin and crumble. The other duck is super active and healthy looking.
I’m so saddened. I can’t figure out what’s going on.

Sorry. To answer, no, there seems to be no other sign of respiratory problems, but then again I’m not too sure what to looks for. His breathing seems the same as the other one, his peeps are a little quieter but I don’t notice much.

Mixing it with their good will be fine.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.75862/
It's B3, that you need, I had to make sure as I don't keep ducks
Thank you! I got some and added to to their food. The one was doing better until about an hour ago. I checked in on them, they were sleeping cuddled up, the one got up and ran to the other side and the weaker one stayed. Doesn’t want to stand, barely walks. Is he deteriorating again, or could this be because I woke them up?

Thank you! I got some and added to to their food. The one was doing better until about an hour ago. I checked in on them, they were sleeping cuddled up, the one got up and ran to the other side and the weaker one stayed. Doesn’t want to stand, barely walks. Is he deteriorating again, or could this be because I woke them up?
Just let them rest, he's going to need multiple doses to get back to normal

Just let them rest, he's going to need multiple doses to get back to normal
Okay 😓 I haven’t touched them besides cleaning the bowls out for the night and that’s when I noticed. Hoping for the best in the morning.. thank you all again.
I’ll update in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom