EMERGENCY. One ducking died, now another acts sick?

NewbieDucky

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
Context - first time duck owner here. 2 days ago I purchased some ducklings from TSC, all of them seemed fine and healthy, but one I noticed had a crusty / watery eye, I noticed it as soon as we were in the car.
The eye would close shut and seemingly be unable to open. I just gently used warm water on a qtip to clean it a bit and he would open it, but he was very squinty. His peeps weren’t like the other ducklings, he sounded like a rubber duck toy. He was eating, drinking and going to the bathroom with no issues.
Tonight he passed away in my hands. I noticed he was unable to hold his head up without wobbling, I held him, he was peeping quietly at me and then he was gone within a few minutes.
The other ducklings seemed perfectly fine for a few hours but now I’m worried maybe it was something contagious. I have one of the other 3 that just developed the same “watery” eye the last one had and it’s become very listless. Please help, I really don’t want to see another baby die.
Any idea what would have caused this?

Setup- I have a large tub with a 250w brooder lamp on only one half, the other half is far enough away they can move if they feel too warm. A large water bowl (their whole head could fit down in) and a feed bowl in there.
Pine wood shavings.

How old are they ?
Have yuh checked their vent for pasty butt ?
250watt seems really high
Ducklings don’t need heat like a chick
About a week - give or take.
Yes I checked their butts last night but they looked clean. I can turn the lamp off, but I read some posts telling me it “was a must” so I had it on

About a week - give or take.
Yes I checked their butts last night but they looked clean. I can turn the lamp off, but I read some posts telling me it “was a must” so I had it on
They need heat but should only be around 75-80 at a week old
My babies stop using heat by 3 weeks and usually stay out of it a lot from 2-3 weeks with my temps at 65-70

They need heat but should only be around 75-80 at a week old
My babies stop using heat by 3 weeks and usually stay out of it a lot from 2-3 weeks with my temps at 65-70
Thank you! I’ll see if I can’t find a different light today. Any advice on the baby with the watery eye and listlessness / any ideas on what could have caused it?

I’m so new to this so I’m sorry if I come off ignorant. The only birds we’ve ever owned had been parrots previously lol…

I’ve been reading article after article and wondering if it’s not a niacin deficiency? Atleast, with how the little guy is acting. I don’t notice any difference in its legs or breathing. Just the eye and lack of movement and interest in the feed.

Thank you! I’ll see if I can’t find a different light today. Any advice on the baby with the watery eye and listlessness / any ideas on what could have caused it?

I’m so new to this so I’m sorry if I come off ignorant. The only birds we’ve ever owned had been parrots previously lol…
If you can raise the lamp higher that would help lower the temps without having to purchase a new lamp.
What are they being fed?

Ok! I’ve raised it up higher.
Dumor chick grit
😉
Chick food doesn't have enough niacin as ducklings need. You can add some as I'm sure you've read in the niacin deficiency threads. Not sure that is what is causing eye issue. Maybe respiratory?
I hope someone more knowledgeable sees the thread soon as I'm not much help in the medical emergency department. @Miss Lydia might be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom