EMERGENCY!Please Help!!!!!incubating Goose Egg And Very Worried!!

new to goose eggs

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
:(On 4/19, a student of mine brought in a goose egg that was found two days prior. I have never dealt with incubating eggs in my life but being a science teacher and loving animals, I decided to try. I took the incubator home and started incubating it that night. I candled it after the first few days and saw that it was alive. It has been growing steadily ever since but this morning I candled it to check on the progress and I think it might have died. Inside the egg, it is very dark and it moves when I turn it. Can see very little yellow. Almost completely dark. Also, there is a VERY faint smell to the egg that it had not had in the past. I really have to strain to smell it but it is there. I have been turning the egg a few times a day and I am wondering if I accidently jostled the little guy too much or if some bacteria from my hands might have gotten into the egg. Its weird but I have grown very attached to this egg and would really love to see him hatch. On one forum, someone suggested putting a little bleach in the water that is in there for the purpose of humidity. I put two drops in the 2 cups of water I have in the incubator. I have kept it at a constant temperature of 100 degrees and a humidity of around 50. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Hi Debi,
Thanks for your reply. So you don't think there is a chance this little guy is still alive? I don't want to throw him out just in case however I might end up in divorce court if the egg explodes. (I have a habit of taking home strays much to my husband's chagrin. The goose might just put him over the top lol)

Sounds like you got a rotten baby in that egg
sad.png

At least you gave it a shot, and thats all that matters! If you ever want to try again there are plenty of places to get geese eggs (better decide before June because then they become harder to find)

You could even just buy a day old somewhere, if they don't sell them in ur neck of the woods you can order them online in groups of two (from Metzer I know)

Good luck!

Well, unfortunately the goose died in the egg. I kept it in the incubator just to be sure but today, there was really no question about it. Thanks for all of your help! By the way, I'm hooked on egg hatching now so I was thinking of getting some mallard eggs. Are they hard to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom