EMERGENCY!! Prolapsed penis on drake I'm showing - I need a VERY quick fix

DO DUCKS EVEN HAVE THEM?!
I'm so behind on ducks *facepalm*

Drakes absolutely do... and that is why it is advised to not keep drakes in with chickens, drakes attempting to mate them can kill them...

The articles written about them falling off every year is absolutely untrue though... they only ever have one in their entire life...

Drakes absolutely do... and that is why it is advised to not keep drakes in with chickens, drakes attempting to mate them can kill them...

The articles written about them falling off every year is absolutely untrue though... they only ever have one in their entire life...

Ohh...
Okay.

IMG_2345.JPG
This is creeping me out...

Ravyn has given you good advice, and I just wanted to post as well to say that this is completely false. They definitely do not lose their penis every year and then grow it back. I'm actually very curious where you read this misinformation since it's based in no fact whatsoever.
It's been my experience that Ravyn generally does give good advice; I'd trust her.

I was not going to comment, but I just have too.....
A penis is a penis and it will not fall off, and no! Do not cut it off...Yikes!..:oops:
Cold compress and Prep-H a little Vaseline on your finger and push it back in.....:frow

I tried to refrain too, but so much bad information, I just had to emphasize the ridiculousness of a yearly fall-off. Extreme cases of common prolapse may have surgical possibilities, but naturally? No.

I've found several articles on ducks losing their penises each year and then regrowing them, so I can't imagine its completely false. Perhaps it only applies to wild, not domesticated ducks.

my drake not only has a penis prolapse but his whole vent?? Cloaclag??? Anyway I have very graphic pictures on my page.. his was severe and took 4 to 6 weeks to fix.
This is what I did... Soaked him for about an hour once or twice a day warm water with epsom salt. the first several days I applied preparation H... after that I applied only antibiotic ointment.
He also had another issue down there some big yellow thing / Growth?? Dead tissue??? that I removed daily, which you do not have to deal with)
I was at the point of trying to stitch him when I read an article about using orajel to numb the area so they dont push things right back out as was my problem.
I would tuck everything back in and he would push it out.
after i used the orajel the 2nd time everything stayed back in.
put it on wait a few minutes turn him over. tuck everything back in and wait a few minutes.
I was debating if I would have to cut part of his penis off as well as it looked black as you can see by his pictures but that eventually was ok so I did not have to do that but there are many articles suggesting amputating the dead part.
GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom