GoldiLaced

Chirping
Feb 22, 2019
Colorado
My chick is lying flat with nasally breathing and gasping and I think spasms. She had a seizure. Obvious respiratory. Another seizure. Previous post for more details. She stopped gasping after second seizure. help please, i think she had a third

She's between 1-2 weeks. She drank water just now, she's in a bit better state. The second photo is what she's been like after everything happened. The first wasn't a picture of when she was having seizures, but it's very similar to what she looked like when I saw her before/during she had the seizures (except more limp). My mom is getting yogurt and antibiotics tomorrow. I should mention she has two other chicks that are about 2 weeks in there with her (fungus and resp issues). I could separate her if it's truly necessary.

Attachments

• ssp1.jpg
    ssp1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 9
  • ssp1.2.jpg
    ssp1.2.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 8
I'd suggest adding some sort of vitamin / electrolyte mix into the water. Hopefully someone with more knowledge that me will be along soon, sorry I can't really help.

Might consider the chance it's Ergotism. Caused by the ingestion of a parasitic fungus Claviceps purpurea. It's found in ceral grains, particularly rye and forage plants like ryegrasses.

Check your feed as that's the most likely source of contamination by Ergot.
I had some birds that had this a couple of years ago. I have my feed custom milled and two of the ceral grains I have added is red winter wheat and rye.
They had the same symptoms as yours, mine lived but if they get too high a concentration, it can kill them.

I had my feed anaylized and found out it was contaminated with the Ergot fungus.

Last edited:
Might consider the chance it's Ergotism. Caused by the ingestion of a parasitic fungus Claviceps purpurea. It's found in ceral grains, particularly rye and forage plants like ryegrasses.

Check your feed as that's the most likely source of contamination by Ergot.
I had some birds that had this a couple of years ago. I have my feed custom milled and two of the ceral grains I have added is red winter wheat and rye.
They had the same symptoms as yours, mine lived but if they get too high a concentration, it can kill them.

I had my feed anaylized and found out it was contaminated with the Ergot fungus.
Thank you. I will look into it.

Back
Top Bottom