Emergency -- sick cat please help

Obviously in this scenario this is not the case, but I knew a cat once who drooled profusely when he was happy being petted. The vet said sometimes they do that when they are extremely happy.
I don't remember it being foamy though. Just very very wet :gig
Some medications have a side effect of causing hyper-salivation momentarily, and it can get scary profuse for both the cat and the owner, picture froth just gushing forth like a kitty volcano.
so much so, that a towel close at hand to swipe the mouth out with, is a good idea.

My worry with that picture earlier today was that if a cat falls on its face from a moderate height and breaks it’s jaw often it can’t close it’s mouth.

I’d try to trap as suggested and see if your mom’s vet friend would help with the assessment... there are many reasons he could be drooling, and all the other symptoms that have been pointed out as well.

2/3 of my pet cats drool a lot, when happy, hungry, content... but not like he is. If you can catch him and the prognosis is manageable, keeping him locked inside for a month or three and you can probably tame him down into a nice feline friend and mouser.

My grandfather used to catch Ferals for pets... it’s a bit of work, but they make the best mousers!

If it is feline distemper then taking him to a vet for humane reasons is also the best thing you can do for the other local cats... pets and ferals alike. Best wishes and I hope for a positive outcome for you and Skitters!:hugs:fl:hugs

To update you all, sorry if I don't get back to each individual post, but my mom and I were talking with the lady who helps trap and release a few of the strays around here, and she's doing her best to help capture and minister to the poor kitty.

She knows that it's petroleum poisoning, apparently he was throwing up and also from her research with all the side effects he's had she knows it is indeed that. Apparently the kitty, who she calls Sebastian (but we call him Skitters for being a skittish cat lol) is the only stray who isn't neutered or who she has not been able to catch, so she's hoping to be able to throw a blanket over him while he eats, though she's ordering another trap since her last one recently gave out.

It seems like at this point a vet can't do much, our neighbor said from her research, and from plain knowledge that he is so sick. And so we'll see if the cat recovers or not. She says he's been sick for a while and has actually been doing better as of late.

As to explain what exactly happened to him, a few weeks ago she said he showed up at her house covered in oil, how he got in it I don't think we'll ever know. But from licking himself clean, he has poisoned himself badly.

My neighbor did say she saw him eat a few bites today, which cheers me. I hope he makes a recovery, but he's poisoned himself pretty badly and so we don't know what will happen. :(

And I want to thank you all for all the help you guys have been giving me! Now I know a lot more about kitty injuries. :)

I guess at this point all I can do is hope our neighbor can help poor Skit, and put out fresh water and a little food for him whenever he comes by. I'll update when I have more info on how the little guy is doing.

If you're unable to trap him, can you get close enough to net him? We have a feral cat that showed up at our barn about 8-9 months ago. Approx. 6 months ago, he disappeared for awhile and then reappeared with an abscess the size of a tennis ball on the right side of his jaw; he was quite ill with infection from the wound as well as a URI and had lost a good bit of weight. We spent almost a week trying to trap him; Jorge was too smart to fall for the trap. One thing we had going for us is he is hard of hearing. I found him sleeping in the perfect spot for netting. I first set a wire crate up on it's end in the barn with the door open (the opening was large enough for me to get the net rim in); grabbed the chicken net; nabbed him; put him in the crate; covered the crate with a sheet and off to the vet we went. Turns out the abscess was from a bite of unknown origin. Vet sedated and cleaned the wound; antibiotics and initial rabies shot given and Jorge was sent home with us with a mandatory 6-month, double barrier quarantine for possible rabies due to the unknown origin of the bite. Jorge recently went back to the vet to be neutered; ear tipped and booster for rabies and we'll soon release him after he heals up a bit from the neuter. Good luck in getting Skitters the help he needs but do be careful.

Some medications have a side effect of causing hyper-salivation momentarily, and it can get scary profuse for both the cat and the owner, picture froth just gushing forth like a kitty volcano.
so much so, that a towel close at hand to swipe the mouth out with, is a good idea.

My worry with that picture earlier today was that if a cat falls on its face from a moderate height and breaks it’s jaw often it can’t close it’s mouth.
I wondered if the cat owners vet was a little kookoo. .
I don't know but that cat drooled like that it's whole life. :confused:
But I totally agree it's not normal. :)

Back
Top Bottom