Emergency! Storm,Sick Chickens!!!

OrganicEggs75

Mottled Rosecomb Heaven
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Ok so There is a huge storm right now.. Raining nonstop, 70mi/h Winds. The coop is flooded. Chickens are shivering. One is dryish not soaked... But is all puffed up and won't really eat. If I put some food on the ground will will eat but won't eat with other chickens,out of my hand, or in feeder just kinda walks around. What can I do for them they are very cold (I don't think chickens shiver very often...)

They're chickens, not chicks, right?

Can you stop the rain from coming in? They need to dry out somewhere, a heat lamp (in a large area so they don't get too hot either) might help, but you need to stop the rain from dousing them!

If they're chicks, then they DEFINITELY NEED to get inside somewhere to dry! They cannot maintain body temperature.

Bring them in, the ones that are the worst, dry off in an old towel, set up an emergency brooder arrangement with a lamp to warm 'em up.

Getting them to eat some warm nutritious food will help too. My favorite recipe is cooked oatmeal (made with milk not water) and mixing it with peanut butter and mashed banana or sometimes yogurt. I make it so it's fairly runny and won't stick in their mouths. The LOVE it!

They are egg laying chickens (except for the roo hehe) the coop is a huge mess though I think I will put them in crates and keep them in at night.

Is this your first year with the coop? And where did the water come from--flooding (from ground level--meaning a drainage problem) or through windows (coverage problem) or the roof (leakage problem)?

If it's windows, it might be good to determine where your prevailing winds are coming from--do a search on "wind roses" and your area to get wind roses that provide a visible indication of the frequency and strength of your winds over the course of the year.

Quote:
It is flooding because it is raining so hard and the coop does not have a roof. This coop I did not build but is it pretty bad I ordered a new one yesterday hopefully it will be here soom

Back
Top Bottom