Emergency with hen. Need help now!

If you believe that your chickens got cured from Infectious Bronchitis (IB) by using Happy Chicken Tonic...then your breeder has a miracle cure for the virus and should make millions....and you're helping fill his wallet with your hard earned money for nothing. Here's a link for you to read, more in depth about IB. Surviving birds eventually get back to normal, but with lower egg production.
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/ib.htm

Last edited:
If you believe that your chickens got cured from Infectious Bronchitis (IB) by using Happy Chicken Tonic...then your breeder has a miracle cure for the virus and should make millions....and you're helping fill his wallet with your hard earned money for nothing. Here's a link for you to read, more in depth about IB. Surviving birds eventually get back to normal, but with lower egg production.
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/ib.htm

It may not have "cured" it but it did keep away all secondary illnesses they could have picked up. I also have not had a single mite, flea, etc... on any of my birds since starting the happy chicken tonic.

Thanks Eggcessive!

Just got her eye cleaned and it's not what I was expecting at all. Before cleaning there was discharge around the eye and I thought I would be able to get more out. However, the puss on the outside was all of it. After wiping it off and using a warm compress I could see her eye again. She did not have any cuts that I could find and I didn't see any eye worms. The eyeball itself looks normal and all the swelling is coming from behind the eye. After doing more research I believe she may have a sinus infection. She also has what looks like mucus in her mouth. I believe that's why she is keeping her mouth open constantly. Her breathing sounds normal, it's not heavy or raspy. She's also not coughing or sneezing. This makes me think it's something concentrated in her sinuses since the other eye is starting to swell up as well. I saw that people have cut the face of their chicken open and removed the mass that was in the sinus. I don't think I will be able to do that. Are there any other ways of treating her? We have her on Happy Chicken Tonic which is a concentrated all natural medicine that our breeder makes. It has cured 3 of my other hens who had IB. I can't use Tylan or other antibiotics while this is in her system because it could cause a reaction. If I continue warm compresses do you think it will loosen the mass enough for it to come out? I feel so bad because now both of her eyes are closed and she can't see at all. She's the only original girl I have left from when I started my flock last year. I'm very attached to her.

IB is a respiratory viral disease, and nothing will cure it--it has to run it's course over 4-5 weeks. It will make all chickens in the flock carriers for up to a year. Chickens with IB sometimes will get a secondary bacterial infection, such as MG, coryza, or E.coli. MG and coryza will make the flock carriers for life. I tried to look up the ingredients of Happy Chicken Tonic, but unfortunately, the maker doesn't list them. I would be skeptical about antibiotics somehow causing a reaction, but those are what treats symptoms of respiratory diseases caused by bacteria or mycoplasma. Many people cull for respiratory diseases such as MG and coryza. I would probably get her tested to see what organism you are seeing, and close the flock to any birds going out or coming in, if there is a positive test for one of those.

Our breeder came over this morning and he suspects MG. We gave her the Happy Chicken Tonic through a tube and she has already perked up a bit. She's now eating and drinking. Her eye hasn't changed but I'm hopeful that she will get passed this. She was the only bird we have that we did not get from him, we got her from tractor supply. He thinks she has been a carrier and because of our neighbors rooster terrorizing our flock a few days ago it made her stressed and caused her MG symptoms to flare up. I don't know the exact ingredients at this time. I threw out my last bottle after I finished it and today he brought me one he had without a label. I know it's packed with electrolytes, vitamins, herbs, and other very healthy vegetation. It's all natural.

Our breeder came over this morning and he suspects MG. We gave her the Happy Chicken Tonic through a tube and she has already perked up a bit. She's now eating and drinking. Her eye hasn't changed but I'm hopeful that she will get passed this. She was the only bird we have that we did not get from him, we got her from tractor supply. He thinks she has been a carrier and because of our neighbors rooster terrorizing our flock a few days ago it made her stressed and caused her MG symptoms to flare up. I don't know the exact ingredients at this time. I threw out my last bottle after I finished it and today he brought me one he had without a label. I know it's packed with electrolytes, vitamins, herbs, and other very healthy vegetation. It's all natural.

If this is the only bird that hasn't come from the breeder, and you have cured "three other hens" of IB I would actually suspect that his birds are the source, rather than this bird, as it is highly likely that they are carriers of the MG after having gone through the previous IB bout(s). The tonic offers some good support to their system, but doesn't actually "treat" anything.

Sadly we had to put our girl down today. Things were not getting better and I did not want to risk anyone else getting infected. I will post when we get the results back from her necropsy. The lady instructed at the necropsy place to put 1/2 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water in for the chickens and ducks. She said it will help flush their system. Has anyone ever tried this? Do I just use Clorox bleach?

Good gravy. :(

I seriously feel like your breeder has a chronic respiratory infection in their flock if THREE of the birds you got from them came down with IB *before* you got your chicken.

I am very disappointed to hear that breeder is selling birds to people, instead of maintaining a closed flock or starting over. That's irresponsible and, as you have learned, can have deadly consquences.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I would consider finding a different breeder.

Edit to add: Would you drink bleach?

MrsB

Last edited:
Good gravy. :(

I seriously feel like your breeder has a chronic respiratory infection in their flock if THREE of the birds you got from them came down with IB *before* you got your chicken.

I am very disappointed to hear that breeder is selling birds to people, instead of maintaining a closed flock or starting over. That's irresponsible and, as you have learned, can have deadly consquences.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I would consider finding a different breeder.

Edit to add: Would you drink bleach?

MrsB

The chicken that passed today was purchased from tractor supply before we began getting our birds from him. After we got our first batch from him, (the ones who had IB), he culled his flocks and started over. Haven't had a sick bird from him since.

I would not drink bleach but after I'm doing some research I saw that it's pretty common to put in drinking water for chickens. I'm skeptical about it but will try almost anything at this point to prevent losing anymore birds.

Some good did come out of today though! My Silkie hen finally went broody so hopefully she will hatch a few eggs for us! I've been waiting for forever to get at least one of them to sit on eggs!

Back
Top Bottom