Emergency!

Chickens do not have the same respiratory systems that we do. Birds can not, in essence, get colds. They can get upper respiratory issues that affect their entire respiratory system (air sacs, lungs, etc.) but cold is too common of a word to be descriptive of the ailments.

Quote:
Correct. If your chickens have symptoms of respiratory disease, you would do well to research respiratory diseases that chickens can get. For example, they can become lifelong carriers of some diseases, and will infect all future chickens. Also, if some have been vaccinated for certain things, all future chickens must be vaccinated as well, as the vaccinated ones shed the disease.

Sneezing alone, however, may not be due to disease. The can sneeze from dust or other irritants, just as we can.

Here is one good source for assessing symptoms:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=15239

if i am wrong, then i apoligize for the terms that i used., but Im glad that the advice that we here on this thread helped you out, do too what we have experienced with our own birds.

Im very happy and glad that your boy is doing better.

Last edited:
hereis the vetrx situation
put it on the head and under the wings
and 1/2 tsp down the throat a couple times a day for a week
2 tsp per gallon of water
for all of them as if it drank from the same watetrer then I would give it in the water for all of them
you should be able to get it at Omaha Vaccine as I came from that area and bought the poultry supplies in south omaha at Omaha vaccine

PS reread your post
SOUNDS LIKE COCCIDIOSIS to me
so do this and the vetrx also
the sulmet is good for respiratory diseases
so get going on both treatments asap

If the one chicken has the coccidiosis and ruffled feathers and sluggish
then feed it to all the chickens
****you need to get going on the coccidiosis medication
the sulmet is okay you need to use it in the water as well as in the

***medicated wet mash
1 qt dry crumbles
2 qts water
in the water put 1 tsp of sulmet

***feed each bird 3 tbsp of this medicated wet mash
to get them going on the medication

and use the sulmet in the water *****( I would add 1/2 pkg of red jello to the sulmet water to give flavor as sulmet is so strong they some times won't drink enough of the straight medicated water. The jello is appitising to them)

**** also
feed this two mornings at rate of 3 tbsp per bird
see that they eat this medicated wet mash in 20-30 minutes
then clean the wet feeders and restock dry crumbles
It gets them going on the sulmet sooner than just letting them decide to drink the medicted wet mash

trust me this does work have used it many times on all kinds of fowl sick with coccidiosis

to get the birds going I would do this
***feed the medicated wet mash now
***then feed the wet mash probiotic this evening

wet mash probiotic
1 qt of dry crumbles
1-1/2 qts of milk any kind
1/4 cup of yoguart
mix good and feed 3 tbsp per chicken so that they eat it in 20-30 minutes

also in the water put 2 tbsp of ACV to a gallon of water

you can email me PM for help
keep us posted to let us kno what happens on this

Last edited: