Empty crop for several days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macdowall, Sep 26, 2013.

1. macdowall

macdowall Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    I have a one and a half year old Barred Rock. She has always been my girl with the biggest crop every night. The last few nights she has had absolutely no crop at all. Flat as can be. Tonight it felt like there was a bit in there but it was squishy. She has been eating and drinking and maybe seems a tiny bit off but not truly sick. She also seems like she is going through a bit of a moult and isn't laying any eggs. Also, her roo has been pecking at her feet at night and trying to drag her off her perch. I have no idea if any of these things are related but trying to give as much info as possible. Any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sometimes mine go thru a heavy molt where they lose their appetite and lose weight. If that fits, maybe it is.

4. macdowall

macdowall Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    They are in a moult right now. I've put vitamins in all the water and some DE around in case of any mites or such.. Thanks!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would physically check my chickens once in a while for lice and mites, especially under the vent. I got a big surprise recently after a friend gave me a new young rooster. I always pick mine up and look for bugs, bumblefoot, vent gleet, and feel how skinny or fat they are about once a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by