Emu egg season Fall of 2013 to 2014

My younger male went broody towards end of laying last season....but had no eggs, as I always collected them, so filled an old egg with some silversand, sealed and he sat on it, but not for long, about a week, lol must have sussed, it was not the real thing...you can't fool this clever Emus lol

Last edited:
I'm up to 12 eggs but we are expecting very cold (9 degrees) in a few days and I'm afraid if he doesn't start sitting on them they will freeze even with a heat lamp above them. :/

Missed posting, had #13 and # 14 . on 1.1. 2014...Jasmine is doing overtime, another on second day, and even bigger 765 gr.lol you would have thought, it may be smaller ?

I have emptied the eggs and refiled them with warm water then put hot glue in the end they will sit on them for at least a month if not longer , when they have eggs under them If I want them I reach under him and swap the eggs out he is good with that , and will continue to sit .at least it works with my emu.but a completely empty egg they can tell. Hope this helps .

Farmchick, I have had this happen and found that swapping them out with water filled eggs plugged with hot glue until the bird is ready to sit or the weather gets better works then you can swap them back at the right time . hope this helps

Calla , I use warm water and hot glue to plug the hole and when they role it they think it is the same at least mine do , the water seems to hold the temperature and when rolled they feel like egg inside .

I always save my empty eggs for carving and such but they do come in handy .
smile.png
just a suggestion .

Back
Top Bottom