Emu eggs... off to a bad start. Questions about ebay seller.

moonjelly

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
I won two emu eggs on ebay on Sunday, April 14th. I paid literally a minute after the auction. I expected they would be shipped out on Monday since freshness is so important, but the seller told me on Tuesday that she had shipped them out at Noon then instead.

I called my post office right away and told them to expect a package on Thursday that I wanted held at the post office to avoid the eggs getting beaten up and shaken on a mail delivery haul all day. I gave them the confirmation number and they said no problem. I told them Thursday, because with them being shipped out on Tuesday they would take two days to arrive. They were coming from California, which is right next door to me and I order a lot of stuff online.

By Wednesday night the tracking still hadn't updated, which is highly unusual. It had been well over 24 hours. I was started to suspect the seller did not ship them when they said. I messaged them and they confirmed that it was for sure Tuesday, so I figured they would be here on Thursday like I figured. Well, Thursday came and went and no eggs. The tracking finally updated and it appeared to me there that she sent them Wednesday.

It's Friday now and I guess because I told the post office Thursday and not Friday they did not hold my package for me. It's on the mail truck to be delivered with the normal mail and it's now April 19th. I'm concerned there's no point in even incubating the eggs because of the delay and the fact that they are sitting in a truck all day. I'm the very last mail stop on the route and I get my mail near to 5:00pm.

What are your thoughts? I'd rather just get the money back from the seller, but I don't know if I have enough cause. I do know there is no way she mailed them on Tuesday when they arrived Friday. That is WAY too long for priority mail from California to Arizona.

Also, I have a question about what to do with the eggs when they arrive this afternoon if I do incubate them. Do you leave them sitting on their side for 24 hours before incubating them? And then leave them sitting on their side without rotation in the incubator for another 24 hours? Or what is the procedure? For chicken eggs, I've been told to do that.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know this is late, but let them set 24 hours. im not an expert on emu eggs, I did try them once from a local source. I know they were fresh when I picked them up. we had a 2 hour power outage on a 85 degree day during the incubation, that may have caused the problem. none of them hatched for me. I was later told that when you haul them it is very hard on them because they are bigger (not sure if this is true).

I hope you have better luck than I had, keeping my fingers crossed for you.
brian

Back
Top Bottom