Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Happy 21 days
clap.gif
LOL Mine is due to hatch on the 3-5th
highfive.gif
yesss.gif

Well... i had one chicken egg in the freezer for about 15 hours that did not split (the other 5 did). So I removed it and let it come to room temperature. Also had 2 other eggs in the freezer for an hour. (no packing around any of them)

Let all three come to room temp then put them in the bator.. NO WEEPING.. no oozing.. nothing

So Yoda, My best guess is that those weepy egg/eggs of yours were not weeping due to frozen temperatures. I have to wonder if they were old eggs that they found and just put the"found date" on them and assumed they were fresh
I am going to leave the freezer eggs in the bator for another day or two then crack them open to see if freezing killed them or if they are growing fine

Here are my weights for this week:

Egg 5 -
Dec 16 - 462
Dec 23 - 447 = 15 grams or 3.25%
Dec 30 - 437 = 10 grams or 2.24%
Jan 06 - 426 = 11 grams or 2.52%
Jan 13 - 415 = 11 grams or 2.58%
Jan 20 - 406 = 9 grams or 2.17%
Jan 27 - 395 = 11 grams or 2.71%
Feb 3-5 estimated hatch time. Egg is still rocking. Gonna be a tiny emu chick
wink.png

Egg 6 -
Dec 29 - 523
Jan 05 - 511 = 12 grams or 2.29%
Jan 12 - 497 = 14 grams or 2.74%
Jan 19 - 487 = 10 grams or 2.01%
Jan 26 - 477 = 10 grams or 2.05%

The other 5 eggs will be weighed on Wednesday mornings​

Last edited:
Ok egg # 3 is trying to come out, didnt think that it was even a go but.....Husband said lets take him out and see if he is wigglin(hasnt moved in 3 days)....All of a sudden he freaks and says honey theres a crack "on the bottom of the egg" so i made a slightly bigger hole for air and he is not moving much..not sure when he pipped to start..8hrs later and no progress....kick me now ....my bad ....but i chipped the shell out a bit to help..left white membrane alone..He is now wigglin more and trying to get out very aggressivly...leave it alone or assist ????

Yup, leave it be. If it's not moving much don't be alarmed it's probably just taking a rest, you try pulling nature's own Houdini act and see how worn out you are after a few hours. You can whistle, tap and talk to it to encourage it though.

Has anyone hatched a 385 gram chick before? Just wondering what to expect if the little bugger hatches out
wink.png

Congrats Sue on egg 3. Last year when my little one hatched her leg stuck out of the shell for 3 days. It was too funny, I was waiting for the other leg to come out and the egg start walking LOL Here's a picture of her last year LOL

Has anyone hatched a 385 gram chick before? Just wondering what to expect if the little bugger hatches out
wink.png

Congrats Sue on egg 3. Last year when my little one hatched her leg stuck out of the shell for 3 days. It was too funny, I was waiting for the other leg to come out and the egg start walking LOL Here's a picture of her last year LOL

My lightest was Beau.. he hatched out March 13th 388 grams

He was fine.. had lost enough weight during incubation but not too much as to cause problems

edited to add a pic of Beau on the scales:

Has the egg in question been on track so far (weight loss)?

Last edited:
It is egg 5 in post 153 above.
if my math is correct he's right on track.. so you shouldnt have anything to worry about.
Like I said Beau was small.. but he was also on track with his weight loss.. he grew pretty fast too.. after they were a few months old you couldnt tell him from the other ones

The one chick that I had that had lost a bit more weight than he should have had a few issues.. (bloody navel and a bit dehydrated plus a bit wobbley) I gave him electrolyte water immediately after hatch. iodine on his navel and taped his legs to help with the wobbles
this is him today

Back
Top Bottom