Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Dear god im in trouble... One of them has been incubating since the 4th of january, and the other since the 8th... I removed the water and im going to reduce the temperature to 36degrees celsius... I hope its not too late

To be safe, I'll leave the thermostat at 35.5 degrees from now on, and i will start to check the weights of the eggs to see how water they're losing... Again i seriously hope i havent killed both chicks... The controller i use is the STC-1000

There is a formula you can use for figuring what the starting weight of each egg SHOULD have been.. then you can calculate the 15% weight loss to see how far off they are..

I have never tried this formula.. but I have seen it written several times... so hopefully it's correct

You would need to use calipers to measure for an exact reading (not sure if you have access to any or not)

It's known as Hoyt's method which requires a species specific coefficient (for emu eggs that would be 0.00056)
So using the calipers you would need to measure the length of the egg..
you would also need to measure the width of the egg
So starting Weight would be Species Specific Coefficient X Length X Width X Width
or
W = CSS x L x W x W

Once you have the starting weight figured out you can then figure the 15% weight loss for ending weight as well as weight loss per day and week

OMG thank you so much! I have calipers so i can try it! According to the graphs ive seen posted, ill try to figure out where i should be since theyre about halfway through... Again thanks!

OMG thank you so much! I have calipers so i can try it! According to the graphs ive seen posted, ill try to figure out where i should be since theyre about halfway through... Again thanks!

Here is this week's weight for egg 6

Egg 6 -
Dec 29 - 523
Jan 05 - 511 = 12 grams or 2.29%
Jan 12 - 497 = 14 grams or 2.74%
Jan 19 - 487 = 10 grams or 2.01%
Jan 26 - 477 = 10 grams or 2.05%
Feb 02 - 466 = 11 grams or 2.31%​

I sent the shell out today for DNA testing
big_smile.png
should find out in a few days whether it is boy or girl.

So after one week these are the measuements
Egg #1 was 697 now 674
Egg #2 was 704 now 683
Is this good so far?
fl.gif

That depends

How long have they been incubating? (I don't know for sure when they were set)
has it been exactly one week between the first weigh in and the second?
At what temperature are you incubating the eggs?

They need to lose 15% of their total weight (+/- 1.2%) during the duration of the incubation.. but the duration is determined by the incubating temperature...
Higher temperatures = shorter duration
Lower temperatures = longer duration

Back
Top Bottom