Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

I tied his legs last night but I do not think theodore is gonna walk. So far he has not sttod on the own feet. He uses his hocks to get around. It is still fat and he is really bottom heavy so I do not know how long it will take to lose the excess weight?
sad.png

when did he hatch out?

I would think he would need a good three or four days .. has he tried eating yet?

He hatched out 4 days ago. I tried to get him to drink but he don't and I have not seen him eat yet, but I am not home all day to watch him either LOL. When I am home he does not eat. I will give him a few days to see if he does and if the belly goes away.

The first one with the leg problem is constantly up and walking and trying to jump yet his leg is still turned 90 degrees to the right.

He hatched out 4 days ago. I tried to get him to drink but he don't and I have not seen him eat yet, but I am not home all day to watch him either LOL. When I am home he does not eat. I will give him a few days to see if he does and if the belly goes away.

The first one with the leg problem is constantly up and walking and trying to jump yet his leg is still turned 90 degrees to the right.

Which batch of eggs is Theodore out of? the Kansas ones?

I dont have emus yet but want to! I live on KS NE border so wondering if i could get contact info for the KS supplier of eggs? I have a friend who has hatched many emus over the years willing to help me! :)

Which batch of eggs is Theodore out of? the Kansas ones?
Yes it is. My first hatch will most likely be put down. She is still standing but her leg is now full time facing 90 degrees to the right and her hock is now turned under her. I am making an appointment with the bird vet that took care of my chick last year for all 3 chicks. I hope I come back home with more then one chick.
hit.gif
I wish I could've hatched all boys so far I am not doing good with girls. Now I might have a loner with no one to play with. Sad

I posted the above message and 5 minutes later Thoedore started walking
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
yesss.gif
highfive.gif

Last edited:
Neither of my eggs have hatched :(
No wiggling or whistling.
What do you do with them? Can you describe to me how to eggtopsy with the hope of preserving the egg if no chick developed.
Thanks.

Hi everyone! I've been a "lurker" on here for a long time, but just recently signed up so I could post. I have 3 emu eggs in my incubator (GQF 2362N Hovabator)...started out with 4, but last week 1 of them started oozing & smelling so I removed it. Today is Day 51 (temp has been 97.5) and I haven't seen any sign of movement. I've read all the posts on here multiple times & I know that everything might still be fine, but I'm still worried. None of the eggs have sounded yet (other than the one that went bad). They are still tilted & not laying level. I removed them from the incubator for a few minutes the other night & the big end (the end tilted up) cooled down but the other end retained heat so I'm hoping everything is still okay in there & I just haven't been around when they've moved. I try not to mess with them except during the 3 times a day that I turn them. This is the first time I've tried to hatch emus & I've never weighed my eggs. Since I'm in Southeast Alabama & we have such high humidity anyway (and I don't run the heat in my house - hasn't gotten cold enough) I've been doing a dry hatch. Now I'm worried that maybe I should have used at least some water in the bator. I've always used the method of feeling the weight in my hand with my other eggs...these eggs don't feel like they've lost much if any weight. I don't use my Hovabator that much (usually just for button quail) but I've always had successful hatches with it so I know it works like it's supposed to. I have the GQF 1502 Sportsman, but it's always full of chicken, duck, & geese eggs so using it for the emus was not an option because of the temp difference.

I guess I'm just nervous now that it's time for them to hatch & I haven't seen ANY signs of life!!!

Hi everyone! I've been a "lurker" on here for a long time, but just recently signed up so I could post. I have 3 emu eggs in my incubator (GQF 2362N Hovabator)...started out with 4, but last week 1 of them started oozing & smelling so I removed it. Today is Day 51 (temp has been 97.5) and I haven't seen any sign of movement. I've read all the posts on here multiple times & I know that everything might still be fine, but I'm still worried. None of the eggs have sounded yet (other than the one that went bad). They are still tilted & not laying level. I removed them from the incubator for a few minutes the other night & the big end (the end tilted up) cooled down but the other end retained heat so I'm hoping everything is still okay in there & I just haven't been around when they've moved. I try not to mess with them except during the 3 times a day that I turn them. This is the first time I've tried to hatch emus & I've never weighed my eggs. Since I'm in Southeast Alabama & we have such high humidity anyway (and I don't run the heat in my house - hasn't gotten cold enough) I've been doing a dry hatch. Now I'm worried that maybe I should have used at least some water in the bator. I've always used the method of feeling the weight in my hand with my other eggs...these eggs don't feel like they've lost much if any weight. I don't use my Hovabator that much (usually just for button quail) but I've always had successful hatches with it so I know it works like it's supposed to. I have the GQF 1502 Sportsman, but it's always full of chicken, duck, & geese eggs so using it for the emus was not an option because of the temp difference.

I guess I'm just nervous now that it's time for them to hatch & I haven't seen ANY signs of life!!!

For the vast majority of emu egg incubations you will incubate DRY .. so I doubt humidity was the issue

To be sure you can use this:

There is a formula you can use for figuring what the starting weight of each egg SHOULD have been.. then you can calculate the 15% weight loss to see how far off they are..

I have never tried this formula.. but I have seen it written several times... so hopefully it's correct

You would need to use calipers to measure for an exact reading (not sure if you have access to any or not)

It's known as Hoyt's method which requires a species specific coefficient (for emu eggs that would be 0.00056)
So using the calipers you would need to measure the length of the egg..
you would also need to measure the width of the egg
So starting Weight would be Species Specific Coefficient X Length X Width X Width
or
W = CSS x L x W x W

Once you have the starting weight figured out you can then figure the 15% weight loss for ending weight as well as weight loss per day and week

were the eggs shipped to you?

Neither of my eggs have hatched
sad.png

No wiggling or whistling.
What do you do with them? Can you describe to me how to eggtopsy with the hope of preserving the egg if no chick developed.
Thanks.

to preserve the egg you would need to drill a hole in one end

If you are certain the egg is bad (no chick at all) you can blow the egg out then

if you suspect there may be a live chick you can float test the egg first (before drilling a hole) to see if there is any movement

Once you drill the hole (air cell end if you suspect there may be a live chick inside) you can look in with a flashlight

if the chick is alive and well you would need to tape up the hole with a bandaid or tape

if the chick is dead it will be messier to remove it (basically breaking the shell or cutting up the chick and pulling the parts out through the hole).

as a note.. if you suspect that there IS a live chick inside and you are still determined to drill the egg.. you will need to be extremely careful that you don't cause damage, kill or injure the chick when you make the hole in the air cell end of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom