Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Right with you on that one! We were homeschoolers through middle school and that was a big reason we built the aviary and chicken coop. Otherwise the kid would have disappeared into the computer and never come out ;) It has really brought out his gentle side. He treats our chickens like puppies! Speaking as a complete Newbie, these are the things that have helped me the most! I've read Yinepu's summary about 20 times now.:bow It has the answers to all the questions that came up in my mind so far. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/emu-hatch-2013 I bought a used copy of this Got mine for about $ 20 and worth every penny!! (Does have some TMI -- I really didn't need to know about artificial insemination... :sick ) AND....Here's the absolute best You Tube vids I've found.
Gerry the Emu (vid by Raptor -- Gerry is about 1 yr old now) This vid is pretty much what converted me...
Baby Emu learns to eat and drink (vid by Raptor again -- this year's chick!)
Australian Emu from Egg to Adult (Fred's Fine Fowl -- good summary of what they do at the different ages)
Crazy Emu Dance Our own Supreme Emu said that this is the best captive emu habitat he has seen. It's nice to have a place where we can "speak emu". My husband is getting really tired of the whole topic :gig
Wow, those videos are awesome. And the info is great......I noticed in one video that Gerry the Emu was out in an unfenced yard. So they imprint enough to not run away? That's cool cuz we have 3 acres so it will be fun to see them run around.....thanks for your help. I just turned my eggs and 3 of the 4 are rocking like crazy. In fact one almost rolled off the table. Day 44.......and 5 days to go.

Avie,

it needs to be bluntly stated:
  1. Most of the information in books and in ‘formal’ Internet articles is just great. [Swarbrick 'Emu Husbandry Guidelines']
  2. Much of the ‘general’ info in the Net is simply wrong. Much of it has been ‘bounced’ dozens of times by people too lazy to do the hard yards of research. This includes even some scholarly articles published by professional journals!
  3. The quality of the data on BYC is of the very highest quality. This is not an idle boast. I have spent many many hours cross-referencing material
  4. Youtube videos are a surprisingly good source of material. The ‘Emu Attacked Me’ videos are just silly; but if you persevere, you will find some surprising footage.

I look forward to reading any excerpts from your book that you would care to post.

Supreme Emu

Last edited:
[SIZE=12pt]Avie,[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]it needs to be bluntly stated:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=12pt]Most of the information in books and in ‘formal’ Internet articles is just great. [Swarbrick 'Emu Husbandry Guidelines'][/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]Much of the ‘general’ info in the Net is simply wrong.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Much of it has been ‘bounced’ dozens of times by people too lazy to do the hard yards of research. This includes even some scholarly articles published by professional journals![/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=12pt]The quality of the data on BYC is of the very highest quality. This is not an idle boast. I have spent many many hours cross-referencing material[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=12pt]Youtube videos are a surprisingly good source of material. The ‘Emu Attacked Me’ videos are just silly; but if you persevere, you will find some surprising footage.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I look forward to reading any excerpts from your book that you would care to post.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Supreme Emu[/SIZE]
Nicely put. I've found that info on websites is all over the place......I even read that emu can hatch on day 41 to 60.......crazy. But the info here is phenomenal!!!!!!

I noticed in one video that Gerry the Emu was out in an unfenced yard. So they imprint enough to not run away?

I was reading about the enclosure requirements too, this is a good thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/740195/warning-to-perspective-first-time-emu-owners

Quote: I hope you make some vids!
big_smile.png
Kids running around plus emu chicks running around must be hilarious!

Quote:

I have one egg at day 50 but I'm pretty sure at this point that it's a goner. So I'm enjoying hearing about these!
If they are moving around so much now, I wonder if that means they will be extra-healthy chicks?
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Oh, and I've been calling my dud egg "Jim"
Because of the old Star Trek shows -- Dr. McCoy was always saying "...he's dead, Jim"
It'll be funny if "Jim" decides to hatch after all!

Last edited:
Oh, and I've been calling my dud egg "Jim"
Because of the old Star Trek shows -- Dr. McCoy was always saying "...he's dead, Jim"
It'll be funny if "Jim" decides to hatch after all!

I hope Jim surprises you.......and I can tell you this, of my 3 eggs now at day 45, I can tell them apart. One wiggles side to side (I'm thinking gentle female), one pivots as if the egg is spinning on its axis (I'm thinking spunky) and the third one shakes and then rolls right over (I'm thinking Big Boy).......I absolutely can't wait to meet them, hopefully this weekend!!!!!!

hope it's a busy weekend - I have 5 on day 48 (I think two are dud's) - It been a long time waiting - I will be very happy if I get two chicks out of this first batch
fl.gif

Well, I turned my 4 emu eggs this morning and 3 are still wiggling like crazy.....and the 4th one which hasn't moved at all wiggled. It only did it once so it could have been settling, but I'd love all 4 to hatch. So I'm on day 46.......if 3 are wiggling strong I'm assuming that's a good sign. It's my first time so could anything go drastically wrong between day 46 and day 50? I'd hate to get my hopes up.......

With all hatching eggs anything and everything can go wrong - the old saying "don't count your chickens before they hatch"
smile.png

From what you are seeing - you should be fine - this is my first time with Emu eggs and I have set modest goals for this first attempt.

Purchased 36 eggs total for three settings - purchased from 5 or 6 different sellers from all over the US. I will consider this a success if I can hatch 10 healthily chicks and get three breeding pairs. That would be less than a 30% hatch rate.

Three settings 1 week apart

First group down to 5 ( only three are moving) day 49
Second group noticed a few moving yesterday day 42
Third group - to earlier day 35

Next 3 weekends will be interesting
fl.gif

Just cause they wiggle doesn't mean your safe. I had one wiggle like crazy and it died in the egg, never hatched cause it ran out of air. I almost lost the other one that was wiggling too. They went over the 51 day hatch date and had I know to take a drill bit and using my fingers turn the bit back and forth til I drilled through the egg on the air sac side he/she would be alive. Once the hole is drilled then place wet guaze over the hole. This will give the chick oxygen and it will hatch. Poor little thing
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom