Emu pictures and stories.... post them here

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by kathyinmo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

2. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Thank you for sharing this. Intriguing! I have studied emu for quite a while now, found this thread by far the most helpful yet. I was told they were dangerous, and challenging. Obviously should be respected as any large animal but not as aggressive as cassowary or ostrich. We had talked ourselves out of them but now have renewed interest in Emu. Obviously you should hatch your own flock.and socialize them with people from the beginning. It must be exciting to observe them in their wild state. Amazing beautiful birds!

3. Tame Emu Guy

Tame Emu Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Raptor, the photos of Gerry are wonderful. The top one is worthy of being printed and framed.

S.E.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Love all the photos! I lost track of this thread! I'm back now!

I have 7 babies that were hatched broken out of their eggs about 5 days ago. Three were spraddle (splay) legged and two with wry neck. One is very small, and came from a very small egg. They were quite weak when I picked them up, and the long drive home surely was tiring to them. I syringe fed them some water and Poultry Nutra-Drench, applied hobbles, and got them warmed up. I know it is imperative that emu chicks have exercise soon after hatch. These chicks were on a slick surface and had no opportunity for exercise at all. Two were sprawled out totally flat! I brought them home at 3 days old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are looking better already!

5. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

so cute

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Nice to see you back - lucky babies

7. Tame Emu Guy

Kathyinmo!! Very nice to see you back.

Yes, cute cute cute as buttons; but reports later, please please, when you have time. Three splay legs!! Goodness. And a tiny egg with a tiny chick. This would help me understand some things: I see puzzling differences in the sizes of chicks in clutches.

Supreme Emu

8. Tame Emu Guy

[​IMG]

Wild Emu Chicks, South-West Western Australia

‘Wild’?? Well, no fences; never been handled; won't eat from your hand -- but will come close for wheat.

(Sounds like an ad in the Personals Section.)

I broke a rule to get the last photo, but what the heck. For those who aren't citizens of Planet Rothschildi, the male is Eric, an old double-alpha rothschildi. I've known him five years. The chicks are the 2012 clutch, Alpha and Omega.

They are 'fully operational' juveniles, readers:

cold, rain, 105-degree heat; snakes, foxes, giant eagles; bullants, ticks; cross barbed-wire fences; support dad in attacking interlopers; involved in attacks by birds more powerful than their dad; roam miles and miles, swim in dams, rest in the shade; roost at night (snuggled up against their dad) on the ground in the Australian bush -- tee hee . . . you might not want to let them go head to head with your tame chicks!

There’s a photo of these chicks from 31 October on my mobile phone, eleven weeks ago. It shows them as Stripies. I suppose they are now about six months:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  9. kbgh

kbgh Chillin' With My Peeps

KathyinMo,

Good luck with the chicks. Please keep us posted on their progress. I had a ball watching the video.

S.E. as usal great photos. Is that Eric eating out of your hand?

K.B.

10. BlackPanther

BlackPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Southeastern US
    I recently saw some pictures of emu eggs and chicks, and found them intriguing. I started wondering (and I hope all you emu enthusiasts will jump up shouting) -- other than the fact that they are unique, why do/would you keep emus over another type of fowl?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by