Emu pictures and stories.... post them here

Hey, Black Panther.

I can’t speak for others, but I got mine by accident: I rented a house in the bush, and they were here.

Bear in mind that – outside Australia – they are exotic, which I guess makes them interesting to some people. Next, those who do their homework find out that they are not aggressive, but in fact loveable and goofy creatures. Also, perhaps their size itself is an attraction to someone looking for an avian pet. Okay, the ostriches are bigger, but also notoriously ornery.

Supreme Emu

I recently saw some pictures of emu eggs and chicks, and found them intriguing. I started wondering (and I hope all you emu enthusiasts will jump up shouting) -- other than the fact that they are unique, why do/would you keep emus over another type of fowl?

I think I have had just about every kind of fowl legally available in the US as pets or livestock..

My top favorite ever is our African Grey parrot.. he's our "kid"
The emus are an extremely close second.
They are only second because they can't talk

Their personalities are what have endeared them to me the most. As a kid I always wanted one (it was impossible at the time since they weren't available here in the states for the average person to own). So I had all sorts of birds. Now after having emus I can verify that they are just as goofy and lovable as I had always suspected.

Lets say I were to fall down in one of the turkey or chicken coops.. after a while I'm sure I would become lunch
The emus on the other hand would snuggle next to me and wonder why I was face planted in the dirt while picking my pockets looking for shiny things to eat.

I have emus that love hugs.. love to play with my hair and love to follow me around the yard 'helping" me with everything even if I do not wish for their help at all. I believe they are extremely intelligent (even though others will argue about that). But one of their major charms is that they genuinely want to be with me and see what I am doing.
My other birds (ducks, geese, chickens and so on) will follow me .. but seem to lose interest in what I am doing unless food is involved. I have had the rare rooster who liked to come in and watch TV and go for rides in the car.. and the rare goose and duck who liked to try to pick my pockets and learned assorted tricks.. but as I said.. they are the rare birds. It's not the norm.

Now having said all of that.. emus are NOT for everyone. They do weigh upwards of 100 pounds.. can kick like a mule and have very sharp nails that can slice you open if they start spazzing out and you get too close to flying feet. They are escape artists.. will go through barbed wire like it isn't there (and have the scars to prove otherwise) .. they will eat things that have no business being eaten and have been known to stomp smaller animals to death on a whim.. Most vets have no idea how to treat one who is sick or wounded.. and many won't touch them because of that.. suggesting that the birds be put down instead of trying to treat them (though not all vets are this way.. many are). in essence they are just like a giant two year old (dinosaur) at the "terrible two" stage.. one who gets into things they shouldn't and is stronger than they realize. As emu caretakers it's our responsibility to make sure they have proper shelter, enclosures, food, healthcare and do not become a hazard to ourselves or others.

They are the most amazing pickpockets, I used to empty my pockets when I visited a farm that had Emus, otherwise you would be running around trying to retrieve gloves, pens, hair clips, and anything else that they could grab. And they were quick about it too. They have the most beautiful bedroom eyes too.

gig.gif
Sounds like their personality is the big attraction! Love the description, Yinepu!

I agree with everything stated above......Hehe

X2! I am deaf, but can hear with Cochlear implants, and Ann, my female 8 months old emu loves to pull the implants off and toss them over her head. Sometimes it takes me awhile to find them that she had tossed over her head. :barnie :lol: I wear a hoodie now, but will not be able to when the weather gets warm.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom