Emu vs. Chicken, not a fair fight

skhomer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Homer, Georgia
After several years together, our lone remaining emu did something unexpected this morning. He/She is a couple of years old, the only one we've ever hatched on the property, Hubby's love - we thought it was a female (not very vocal but no hissing, maybe thumped once) but then he/she built a nest in the back woods this winter, so maybe male? went after one of my 2 year old Barred Rocks hens. The hen did not survive. She was on the field side of the fence, presumably flew over or found a way under the chicken house, but that's nothing new despite fence, fence and more fence. We have one hen that decided to make her home in the goat house, so all the animals have interacted before.

We have 25 chickens in the backyard, and an emu, a mini-donkey and three goats in the pasture. This is the first time there has been anything more than a little attitude, mostly back when we had teenager pullets that went down there all the time. That emu was MAD. I ran and got food and treats, and it wasn't even interested. Those flying emu feet were intimidating ... the donkey either tried to intervene or just got caught in the wrong place, the emu kicked at her but didn't do any damage. It was a vicious attack ... I'm not sure what to think.

Any words of wisdom?

I think I would be afraid to be the target of the emu myself.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom