Encourage me PLEASE

Blueberrysilkies

Chirping
Jun 4, 2021
Hello y'all. I need some encouragement from the wise ones of Backyard Chickens. I have a full house right now, several age groups of silkies running a muck.

In my basement I have 11, 1-2week old babies I bought from a breeder a week ago. After about 4 days, bloody poo so I did corid and that seems to be clearing up. Still scary cuz it was my first time ever dealing with that and I always thought I did throughly cleaning.

Today, a 1 week old silver partridge silkie looks to be gasping/choking. I googled and did everything I could to help including treat for gape worm. Choke, water/oil, rubbed throat etc
Still worried :-(

I'm my coop outside a first time mom has been hatching over the last 36 hours. 3 are up and running. The 4th has hatched this morning and dried but the egg seems to be dried to it. 2 more eggs are unhatched. I'm not sure if I should help the baby yet or give it more time. I can go visit and touch everyone but mom is getting restless so I've stopped bugging her. I added a pic of a newly hatched :)

I have been sick and not feeling well and I'm trying not to worry. I know Chickens are overcomers. But some one, HELP! Even if you just tell me to sit on my hands.

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_073956_961.jpg
    IMG_20210707_073956_961.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 6
If an egg has external pip and it seems dry, I would just moisten the area with a paper towel (gentle dabs ) and pick a little of the shell off (note - do not peel the membrane ), and then Set it back for the chick to do the rest of the work. The other eggs if still under the hen, give them time to hatch. I’ve had some late chicks hatch a day or two later. I hope you feel better soon.

how is the silkie that was gasping for air? What kind of bedding are you using ? Sometimes they eat the shavings and that can cause some difficulties , keep an eye on it and make sure it’s drinking. Keep doing the corid, it works wonders. Thankfully bloody poo is treatable.

Continue with the Corid treatment for the designated time, think 5 - 7 days for all, it won't hurt.
Are all your chickens in one coop or do you have several?

As for the one "gasping" ... as asked, what bedding are you using? What is the temp in the brooder? What are you feeding?

I'd leave the setting Mom alone, she knows what to do. How's the 4th doing? You can use a lubricant to try removing the egg shell; coconut oil is good. As for the unhatched eggs, when did you last candle? Do you hear peeping from them? It's really best to leave Mama alone, sounds like she's doing what need to be done.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well :hugs Hope you feel better soon.

If an egg has external pip and it seems dry, I would just moisten the area with a paper towel (gentle dabs ) and pick a little of the shell off (note - do not peel the membrane ), and then Set it back for the chick to do the rest of the work. The other eggs if still under the hen, give them time to hatch. I’ve had some late chicks hatch a day or two later. I hope you feel better soon.

how is the silkie that was gasping for air? What kind of bedding are you using ? Sometimes they eat the shavings and that can cause some difficulties , keep an eye on it and make sure it’s drinking. Keep doing the corid, it works wonders. Thankfully bloody
All is great! We did lose the gasper :-( I think he ate a shaving. I keep all age groups separate. And I have a pretty sweet set up ;-)

Each brooder is actually a dome tent and a Brinsea heat plate. Each tent has bedding, food, water, a roost and a light on a timer so they know when bedtime is! Each tent also has a baby camera and I can talk to them thru it and keep an eye on them! So funny to see them scatter when they are fighting and I get after them!

One more egg hatched and it's a teeny tiny pint sized chick! Ended up with 5 of 6 eggs. And yes, I did bring them in. The pint size guy was way too tiny. I'm short! I get it!

Back
Top Bottom